Gear List -- Grand Canyon May 2015

Reviews and discussion. For sale, wanted, trades, donations. Online deals.

Re: Gear List -- Grand Canyon May 2015

Postby Florian » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:31 pm

Ulysses wrote:My first aid kit:
2 band aids
2 Vicodin

Heh. I'm like this too minus the Vicodin. I have some bandaids and gauze pads. A little tube of vaseline helps for chaffing or blisters. Things like broken bones, snake bite, serious illness require more than i could provide myself. I don't have a PLB but i do have cellphone and ham radio and i think i could somehow make contact and summon help from most places i go.

-Florian
Florian

Postby Hikin_Jim » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:50 pm

Ulysses wrote:Just kidding. Okay this is a good exercise. Thank you for asking. Forced me to pull out my first aid kit and take inventory. Maybe I'll get some good suggestions on improvement.

2- 3in.x3in. Cotton gauze sponge pads.
1-1.5 in x 25 yd. rolled gauze.
1- .5in x 25 yd. roll cotton adhesive tape.
3- individually packaged Benzalkonium Chloride Antiseptic Towlettes.
4 -1 in. wide band aids.
2- 3 in. butterfly shape band aids.
2-individually packaged 2x ibuprofen tablets.
4- 2 in.x 2 in. pieces of moleskin.
1- 1 in. by 2 in. blister pad of unknown composition. (I forget what these are called but they are great for busted blisters).
2 Vicodin. (These have been in my pack for at least 10 years and might not be very effective, but not easily replaced).
Total weight with nylon bag: 60 gram

That's it. I also carry a personal locator beacon. Burns and small cuts seem to be my most common injuries. I figure anything much more serious (compound fracture, heart attack, ect.) and I'm deploying the beacon.

I've also recently included a small bottle of ibuprofen in my ditty for the everyday aches and pains of a body approaching 60 at an all to alarming rate.
Hi, Ulysses, good list. Similar to mine. Total weight of 60 g (2 oz) is excellent.

I need to pull apart mine. I'm carrying 8 oz, four times what you're carrying. I want to drop it by at least half.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby Robert Hunt » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:01 pm

HJ, love all of your functional creativity! My kit is similar to Ulysses
Hikin_Jim wrote:
Ulysses wrote:Just kidding. Okay this is a good exercise. Thank you for asking. Forced me to pull out my first aid kit and take inventory. Maybe I'll get some good suggestions on improvement.

2- 3in.x3in. Cotton gauze sponge pads.
1-1.5 in x 25 yd. rolled gauze.
1- .5in x 25 yd. roll cotton adhesive tape.
3- individually packaged Benzalkonium Chloride Antiseptic Towlettes.
4 -1 in. wide band aids.
2- 3 in. butterfly shape band aids.
2-individually packaged 2x ibuprofen tablets.
4- 2 in.x 2 in. pieces of moleskin.
1- 1 in. by 2 in. blister pad of unknown composition. (I forget what these are called but they are great for busted blisters).
2 Vicodin. (These have been in my pack for at least 10 years and might not be very effective, but not easily replaced).
Total weight with nylon bag: 60 gram

That's it. I also carry a personal locator beacon. Burns and small cuts seem to be my most common injuries. I figure anything much more serious (compound fracture, heart attack, ect.) and I'm deploying the beacon.

I've also recently included a small bottle of ibuprofen in my ditty for the everyday aches and pains of a body approaching 60 at an all to alarming rate.
Hi, Ulysses, good list. Similar to mine. Total weight of 60 g (2 oz) is excellent.

I need to pull apart mine. I'm carrying 8 oz, four times what you're carrying. I want to drop it by at least half.

HJ
as well although I carry a small strip of ductape instead of moleskin due to its multiple uses. It gets heavier on more remote stuff, I'll bring an emergency blanket in a vacuum sealed bag and sometimes a big syringe & some povidone iodine to flush out a bad puncture wound from a branch or something. The 10 year old Vicodin would be for something like a broken bone. I believe the blister pads you have might be made out of a hydrocolloid material, like the stuff in diapers. The two 3 inch bandages that I carry are hydrocolloid. I swear by these, they are incredible. They form a gel over the wound and allow it to heal without scab or scar formation in a fraction of the time regular dressings would take. They also serve as an immediate leathery cover that breathes, is water resistant, and incredibly durable.
Robert Hunt

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:51 am

Robert Hunt wrote:I believe the blister pads you have might be made out of a hydrocolloid material, like the stuff in diapers. The two 3 inch bandages that I carry are hydrocolloid. I swear by these, they are incredible. They form a gel over the wound and allow it to heal without scab or scar formation in a fraction of the time regular dressings would take. They also serve as an immediate leathery cover that breathes, is water resistant, and incredibly durable.
Interesting. Now that sounds like it's worth knowing about. What brand name would these be sold under?

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby Robert Hunt » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:01 am

I've seen them sold by Nexcare and some store brands like CVS but I favor the Band-Aid brand as they seem to be the most durable. The box and advertising don't look a lot different than the ordinary band-aids, the easiest way to tell is that they cost twice as much as the others. There are a variety of sizes and most stores seem to have a limited selection so don't be deterred if you can't find the size you are looking for. One key thing about them is that you have to clean the wound well because once its sealed up, you just leave it on until it leaks or peals off. On a big wound, I'll change them maybe 2-3 times before it has healed completely. I also carry a couple of alcohol wipes to really clean the skin around the wound for a good edge-seal. They really rock for big elbow or knee abrasions, especially on kids.
Robert Hunt

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:57 pm

OK, well, then maybe a visit to Rite Aid is in order.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Previous

Return to Outdoor Gear & Apparel, Food, Books