Noob to hiking shoes

Reviews and discussion. For sale, wanted, trades, donations. Online deals.

Postby David W » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:21 am

David W

Postby Myth » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:41 pm

:shock: :shock:

I've had my Alamosa's since 2012, too. The sole lugs are worn pretty smooth, but not peeling anywhere. I've done about a dozen trips in the double digit miles apiece just in JTNP in those - plenty of boulder hopping, scrambling, general cross-country stuff. Several shorter little desert hikes, too. 200+ miles in the Sierras. 100+ more in Golden Trout Wilderness ( where the trails are a soft, dusty, pack train-ground "delight" ). Various other trips also pop in my mind as I think back - I'd say I have close to 600 miles on mine, not including wearing them in town on warm-up hikes, which is usually on an asphalt bike path.

I'm really surprised!

See a review of Keen shoes here:

http://www.trailjournals.com/sunshine2013cdt

At least two hikers who walked 6000 miles in various pairs of Keens - I guess if you stick with a brand that long it works for at least some people!

I will say I've noticed my husband's Keens are now starting to have the lugs separate a bit at the mid-sole "crease" so he's looking at a replacement pair soon. Then again, in addition to almost all of these hikes he also wears his to work regularly.

I'll be so annoyed if it turned out my pair is an anomaly, since this brand fits me so well. :?
Myth

Postby David W » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:55 pm

Seems one commenter posted that the earlier shoes were good and the later ones after a company move not so much...might explain your older ones holding up.
David W

Postby David W » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:44 am

...so yesterday was a painful reminder...I wore some CAT low shoes I have had for years that I rarely wear...comfy light vented...but the low heels killed the back of, well, my whole body legs to back. Guess it's used to at least a 1" heel from wearing heeled boots so long...so looking into a vented heeled hiker I guess.
David W

Different feet, different shoes

Postby halhiker » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:16 pm

Everyone is going to have a different favorite shoe because everyone has different feet. I personally LOVE La Sportiva Wildcats and use them for 90% of my hikes, maybe 95%. They are very breathable, comfortable and stable. But even within the La Sportiva brand there are differing sizes. They sell high, medium and low volume shoes depending on their intended use. Try on a bunch of different shoes and find the one that fits YOU.

Unless you are doing trips in snow or carrying a heavy pack over rugged terrain I'd steer clear of boots. They just aren't needed and weigh you down. It's been said that 1 lb. on your feet is equal to 5 lbs. on your back.

One last thing. Unless you are intending to do a lot of hiking in the rain or snow do not spend the money on Gore-Tex shoes or boots. The membrane will only make your shoes hotter and if you go hiking in the desert, one contact with a wayward cacti will render the waterproofness of your boots worthless.

Have fun finding the perfect pair of shoes and when you do buy multiple pairs. You never know when the manufacturer is going to change them just to spite you.
halhiker

Postby David W » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:01 pm

How about a shoe with as much heel as possible?
David W

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:17 pm

Here you go. You're welcome.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby David W » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:29 am

Cute...

I think the correct term is heel/toe drop...?
David W

Postby Ellen » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:39 am

Hikin_Jim wrote:Here you go. You're welcome.

HJ

Single point crampons...(stole that one from HJ) 8)
Ellen

Keen boots

Postby Ellen » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:47 am

Howdy All :)

I've used Keen Voyager's for non-snow hiking. It used to just wear out the sole and/or the mid-sole support.

Unfortunately, since last fall, I've had to use super glue to re-attach part of the soles to the boot.

I really don't want to give them up because they've been such a great boot for trail and XC hiking.

Sigh :(

Ellen
Ellen

PreviousNext

Return to Outdoor Gear & Apparel, Food, Books