Noob to hiking shoes

Reviews and discussion. For sale, wanted, trades, donations. Online deals.

Postby Myth » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:33 pm

So Keens really have gone downhill on quality, huh? Oy. :?

Looks like I'll have to find a new brand, then. Oh, the joy. I'm the kind of person who buys extra pairs when I find shoes I like because I hate shoe shopping.
Myth

Postby zippetydude » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:11 pm

Hikin_Jim wrote:

HJ

Hey, I recognize those legs! HJ, when were you out hiking with Fern?

z
zippetydude

Postby David W » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:40 am

Myth wrote:So Keens really have gone downhill on quality, huh? Oy. :?

Looks like I'll have to find a new brand, then. Oh, the joy. I'm the kind of person who buys extra pairs when I find shoes I like because I hate shoe shopping.

Building a sole out of multiple pieces glued together seems, um...silly. What did they expect to happen?
David W

Postby David W » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:07 pm

Well...I've been putting it off and I think I'm going to give these a whirl. Should be able to wear them at work too with the safety toe.

http://www.amazon.com/Nautilus-Safety-F ... e+toe+mesh
David W

Postby tekewin » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:43 am

Really fun to see what other people are wearing.

My main 3 season shoe is the Merrill Moab Ventilator. I'm on my second pair. I also like the Vasque Mindbender when I want to go light. Both are very comfortable. The sole on one my Mindbenders started to detach after less than 50 miles, but I superglue it back as needed.

I also have a pair waterproof Merrills for snow, but can't remember the model. Haven't worn those much in the last year.
tekewin

Shoe Review

Postby halhiker » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:17 pm

I found this review to be very informative:

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Trail-Run ... es-Reviews
halhiker

Re: Noob to hiking shoes

Postby David W » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:45 am

Took a long time, but here's an update.

Couple Saturdays ago, my wife and I did Mt. Woodson to Potato Chip Rock, me wearing boots, and the descent killed my left shin and right knee.

Stopped in Mt Laguna/PCT supply store by chance on the way home Sunday and got great help, and ended up with some of these Merrrell Proterras :

http://barefootrunninguniversity.com/20 ... il-runner/

I've done a couple short hike/run/climb trips and they are awesome so far. Always tried to wear shoes (boots) that fit close and then tie them so my feet don't slop around and get blisters and bumps, but he sized me up one size and advised me to wear them loose. He'd done a couple hundred miles through the Rockies off-trail, 11 mountain passes IIRC that way, so I figured I'd give it a whirl. I thought I would get blisters, but they fit right on the sides and bottom, have room for my toes and the low heel drop keeps me landing on the front/middle of my foot. So far, so good! I was also worried a light shoe might not protect my soles, but these are great.
David W

Previous

Return to Outdoor Gear & Apparel, Food, Books