How to shit in the woods

Reviews and discussion. For sale, wanted, trades, donations. Online deals.

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu May 22, 2014 7:33 am

Mike P wrote:I noticed that the paper notes that there was low compliance with recommended poop practices. I bet you would find the same here in this country.
Unfortunately, yes. And that's entirely my contention. The real problem is with lack of compliance not with catholes themselves.

The paper, at the end, notes that toilets tend to fix compliance problems, but of course toilets are a maintenance issue for cash strapped agencies like the USFS.

In another paper I looked at, by some of the same authors, they recommended (when toilets are not available) burying feces and TP in a cathole 15cm (6") deep but recommended that tampons be packed out. They make reference to a study about the depth of catholes. Apparently shallower catholes are more likely to be dug up, but it wasn't entirely clear.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby Sally » Thu May 22, 2014 6:25 pm

In chapter 2 of the Tasmanian study I learned that MIB does not stand for "Men in Black" but "Minimal Impact Bushwalking." I guess that this is their version of "Leave No Trace."
Sally

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu May 22, 2014 9:58 pm

Ha! You caught that too. :)

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby cynthia23 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:52 pm

What most amazes me about this topic is that so far--so far!--no one has yielded to the impulse to make a pun. HJ?

:)

Seriously, though, I think I'd have to be in the Florian pack-TP-out camp. It's probably true that if you dig deep and well and bury TP carefully, it will eventually biodegrade, even in a region that's seen .93 inches of rainfall this year. But I think very few day hikers bring a spade and have the patience to dig a reasonable hole, and the inevitable result is what I, in one of my posts, refer to as 'the flying toilet paper wads of Mt. San Jacinto." At heavily traveled times of the year, the TP situation on Skyline is really gross. So I say we should continue to encourage people to pack it out.

Still, fascinating article, Jim, and thanks for posting it. Who knew?
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:21 pm

cynthia23 wrote:What most amazes me about this topic is that so far--so far!--no one has yielded to the impulse to make a pun. HJ?
Well, those who disagree with me obviously don't know squat. And while I am a bit of an irresponsible potty animal, you won't catch me with my pants down when it comes to the issue of TP. And, please, let's not paper over our differences; there are real issues here that we need to get to the bottom of. Might I suggest we dig deep yet avoid a dump session? I hope you'll pardon the difficulty of speaking about this sensitive subject (I myself am flush with embarrassment), but this is no matter to be poo-poo'd. I mean, things like this tend to pile up and fester unless they're dealt with. But I believe we have the means to relieve ourselves here without outside assistance (I mean, it's not like we need to call in the United States Latrine Corps, right?).

My mind is in a swirl right now, so I can't handle anymore, but do let what I've said circulate through your mental pipes,

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby Ellen » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:44 pm

Howdy All :)

I've updated HJ's Puns of the San Jacintos 8)

http://www.mtsanjacinto.info/viewtopic.php?p=3157

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

Hikin_Jim wrote:
cynthia23 wrote:What most amazes me about this topic is that so far--so far!--no one has yielded to the impulse to make a pun. HJ?
Well, those who disagree with me obviously don't know squat. And while I am a bit of an irresponsible potty animal, you won't catch me with my pants down when it comes to the issue of TP. And, please, let's not paper over our differences; there are real issues here that we need to get to the bottom of. Might I suggest we dig deep yet avoid a dump session? I hope you'll pardon the difficulty of speaking about this sensitive subject (I myself am flush with embarrassment), but this is no matter to be poo-poo'd. I mean, things like this tend to pile up and fester unless they're dealt with. But I believe we have the means to relieve ourselves here without outside assistance (I mean, it's not like we need to call in the United States Latrine Corps, right?).

My mind is in a swirl right now, so I can't handle anymore, but do let what I've said circulate through your mental pipes,

HJ
Ellen

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:56 pm

I'm thinking that might be the wrong link, Ellen. It seems to lead to something about a fire.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby arocknoid » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:57 pm

"Honey Bighorn don't give a fit about no book:"

This is a topic without great appeal for discussion, but with significant impact for all hikers and forest users.
arocknoid

Postby Ellen » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:50 pm

Howdy "Noid :)

Ah ha, I see you're another fan of the Honey Badger video :wink:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby Ellen » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:52 pm

Hikin' Jim's Puns of the San Jacintos 8)
http://www.mtsanjacinto.info/viewtopic.php?t=3644
Ellen

PreviousNext

Return to Outdoor Gear & Apparel, Food, Books