First GPS Hike

Reviews and discussion. For sale, wanted, trades, donations. Online deals.

Postby climbant » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:55 am

Jim

You can download mapsource and basecamp directly from Garmin. Basecamp is free and works well for me, I've never tried mapsource though as my impression was that it is for road navigation.
climbant

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:57 am

I went to Garmin.com first, but they have a message to the effect that Mapsource is outdated and please download Basecamp. So I went to Cnet.com which I've used dozens of times over the years. Got Malware this time. Yuck.

I've now downloaded Basecamp. Guess I'll learn to live with it. :)

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby jfr » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:22 pm

Hikin_Jim wrote:I went to Garmin.com first, but they have a message to the effect that Mapsource is outdated and please download Basecamp. So I went to Cnet.com which I've used dozens of times over the years. Got Malware this time. Yuck.

I've now downloaded Basecamp. Guess I'll learn to live with it. :)

HJ

Garmin says that MapSource won't install unless you have some other Garmin product installed. Like Basecamp, for example:
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/h ... -your-gps/

Sorry to hear about your cnet experience. I noticed that they changed their style, so now you have to be very careful which link you click. You wanted the small text link ("Direct Download Link") just below the big green download button (which has the "cnet installer enabled" - i.e. many more opportunities to install toolbars and other un-fun things).

But you can download it direct from Garmin if you're cnet-shy:
http://www8.garmin.com/support/mappingsw.jsp

As for gpsbabel, pm me and I'll give you some pointers - I've used it a lot.
jfr

Postby arocknoid » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:13 am

CNET went down the malware-monetization hole a few years ago when VP Sean Murphy initiated bundling of trojans with their downloader app.

Here's a link to a precis and timeline of the brouhaha with the *first* rodeo. Unfortunately, CNET has continued (and varied) the malware bundling through 2012 and 2013. The stink has tainted the rest of their brand and content, unfortunately for the good columnists through no fault of their own.

There are plenty of other download sites for freeware/shareware/paidware. ('Twould seem like spam to post 'em here though.) Usually best to download to a thumbdrive and run sec scans there before installation..

I can send you a link to a free download of Mapsource if you would like, as well as installation workarounds for issues referred to by jfr.

(download.com ref: download.cnet.com)
The Nmap fiasco that first brought to light their sneaky malware:

http://insecure.org/news/download-com-fiasco.html (many articles linked within)

The Sophos article re:Fyodor/Nmap/cnet at the heart of the matter:

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/12 ... -brouhaha/

Most importantly, despite the episodic public outcry over the past couple of years, CNET has continued and expanded their malware bundling. Cha-ching. Their policy declaration is unintentionally hysterical; in essence, "What others may see as malware, we do not."

google { cnet trojan } for addl. entertainment

good luck

( relents for educational plug for Bruce Schneier, security guru of gurus, old acquaintance via EFF:
https://www.schneier.com/about.html)
arocknoid

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:52 pm

Pretty damning article about Cnet. The jerks. :evil:

At least their executive editor had the decency to resign or so I read. And Cnet is part of CBS and they're doing this kind of sleazy stuff? What?

I'm going to try Basecamp since I've got it installed already. We'll see.

Tonight's project is a moving one. Literally. We have painters coming in the morning, so I need to clear the patio so they can work. GPS will have to wait.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby HH8 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:17 pm

pdforeme wrote:with my Garmin etrex i have found it NOT to work accurately unless i turn it on well before i start hiking.

We like to keep a track of the vehicle segment of our trips, separate from the hiking portion. So it's already on in advance of hiking.
HH8

Postby 63ChevyII » Wed May 07, 2014 10:20 am

HH8 wrote:
pdforeme wrote:with my Garmin etrex i have found it NOT to work accurately unless i turn it on well before i start hiking.

We like to keep a track of the vehicle segment of our trips, separate from the hiking portion. So it's already on in advance of hiking.

When I hike, I have my GPS attached to my pack. If I remember, I take the GPS in the car with me for the ride to the trailhead. I turn it on 15 mins before we get there.

Do anyone of you map out tracks at home, then upload them to your GPS for your hikes? What program/process do you use? I've been doing it for about a year now, but it seems there's got to be an easier way.

Here's an example of a trip I'm planning:
Cottonwood Pass Trip, May 2014
63ChevyII

Previous

Return to Outdoor Gear & Apparel, Food, Books