The Bobcat Stove System

Reviews and discussion. For sale, wanted, trades, donations. Online deals.

The Bobcat Stove System

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:01 am

I haven't done a write up for a while, but some of you may know of my backpacking stove addiction, er, hobby.

I've been using the Bobcat stove system for my serious solo backpacks the last several months.

I've found it to be a good system: reliable, stable, and easy to use. I particularly like that everything fits inside the pot, which makes things pretty handy.

If you're interested in such things, here's the full review on my blog:
The Bobcat Stove System

This article is actually part I of a series. Next in the series will cover how I use the system to bake muffins out on the trail.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby Myth » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:09 am

I have a Caldera Cone Ti-Tri Sidewinder, which I love. This stove system is reminiscent of that. I am glad that I have a Sidewinder in particular, it is really handy to have the windscreen go in the pot, with the alcohol stove, lighter, and other odds and ends packed around it.

I'll check into this system, though - my spouse is more finicky about food than I am, and so doesn't use an alcohol stove, so we also have a MSR Universal. This system looks like it would give more cooking options, so it might be able to replace the Universal. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Myth

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:39 am

The Ti-Tri Sidewinder is a really good system. I certainly prefer the Ti-Tri's titanium windscreen, but titanium of course isn't cheap.

If you've already got the titanium windscreen from a Ti-Tri, you can actually do some fairly sophisticated cooking using one of the Bobcat System's stoves but using the Ti-Tri windscreen. I actually baked a muffin using the Ti-Tri windscreen about a week ago while on a backpack in Henry Coe State Park.

The Bobcat system's windscreen while not quite as nice as titanium, works well and does fit inside the pot. The aluminum caldera cones don't fit inside the pot (although Trail Designs appears to be working on it).

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Return to Outdoor Gear & Apparel, Food, Books