Acme Mapper -- Alternatives?

Reviews and discussion. For sale, wanted, trades, donations. Online deals.

Acme Mapper -- Alternatives?

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:31 am

Acme Mapper is great. I can plot points on a topo map and send them in an email or post them on a forum. I love it -- but it was having a problem earlier today. :(

Just in case, anyone got a good substitute? I'm familiar with G4map which is excellent, but I'm not aware of a way to easily plot points with G4map the way I can with Acme mapper.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby KathyW » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:38 pm

I use both National Geographic TOPO Software (the State versions) and the Home Version of Expert GPS (http://www.expertgps.com/purchase.asp). They both cost money, but I haven't found anything that's free that gives me what I want.
KathyW

Postby hvydrt » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:09 pm

Caltopo.com is the best web based mapping program I have used.
hvydrt

Re: Acme Mapper -- Alternatives?

Postby HH8 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:28 am

Hikin_Jim wrote:Acme Mapper is great. I can plot points on a topo map and send them in an email or post them on a forum.

Just in case, anyone got a good substitute?

I use Delorme at home. I used to use Topozone.com, but not sure how much it does these days.
HH8

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:08 am

All good suggestions; thanks guys.

hvydrt wrote:Caltopo.com is the best web based mapping program I have used.
Can it generate links that show a route? That's my particular interest.

For example:
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=34.13504,-11 ... %2Cunnamed

Can CalTopo generate something like that that I can put here on the forum or in an email?

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby hvydrt » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:52 pm

Yes, you can create maps and draw routes, or import/export gps tracks onto maps. You just need either a yahoo or google account to sign in so you can save all your stuff. You can save all the maps you make and share them with a link or it will give you code to embed the map on a webpage. Here is your example on the USGS topo map In the top right you can chose what map you want to view the route on. They even have maps from the early 1900's (including San G area) You can also overlay multiple maps. Sometimes I like to have the sat image and then overlay the 40' contours onto that. There is a slope analysis layer that will shade the slopes based on steepness. Lots of good features for planning cross country adventures. Its especially helpful to draw a route on the topo, then switch to sat image to see if the route is through scree, rock bands, forest, meadow, etc.
hvydrt

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:35 pm

hvydrt wrote:Yes, you can create maps and draw routes, or import/export gps tracks onto maps. You just need either a yahoo or google account to sign in so you can save all your stuff. You can save all the maps you make and share them with a link or it will give you code to embed the map on a webpage. Here is your example on the USGS topo map In the top right you can chose what map you want to view the route on. They even have maps from the early 1900's (including San G area) You can also overlay multiple maps. Sometimes I like to have the sat image and then overlay the 40' contours onto that. There is a slope analysis layer that will shade the slopes based on steepness. Lots of good features for planning cross country adventures. Its especially helpful to draw a route on the topo, then switch to sat image to see if the route is through scree, rock bands, forest, meadow, etc.
OK, now that's pretty nice. Looks like it might be a bit of a learning curve (Mapper is really quick and easy to learn), but the payoff is a lot of functionality. I'm going to have to play with it some. Thanks for the tip!

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Return to Outdoor Gear & Apparel, Food, Books