What's the Best Gas Stove?

Reviews and discussion. For sale, wanted, trades, donations. Online deals.

What's the Best Gas Stove?

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:54 pm

I haven't done a post on my blog for a while, but I thought I'd address a perennial question: What's the best gas stove?

In this post, I take a brief look at nine different gas stoves, discussing the relative merits of the various stoves for particular uses. Have a look if you like.

The MSR Reactor

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby Andy » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:05 pm

Glad to see your still getting a few of these out once in a while Jim. Thanks
Andy

Postby Hikin_Jim » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:41 pm

Hi, Andy,

Thanks. Yeah, commuting 100 miles a day (exactly 100, almost to the 10th of a mile) in LA traffic isn't much fun. Come the weekend, the last thing I want to do is sit in front of a computer. I went to be out there. Doesn't leave a lot of time for blogging. We'll see.

Hopefully this is a useful post.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby calicokat » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:30 pm

I love your stove blog. I am a stove junkie myself. I used the MSR Reactor on last years JMT and used the Jetboil Sol Titanium this year. Both great stoves. For solo use, the Sol wins. Next year my wife and I are doing the JMT and I will bring the Reactor, larger capacity to boil two dinners and breakfasts worth of water at a time.
calicokat

Postby Hikin_Jim » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:49 pm

calicokat wrote:I love your stove blog. I am a stove junkie myself. I used the MSR Reactor on last years JMT and used the Jetboil Sol Titanium this year. Both great stoves. For solo use, the Sol wins. Next year my wife and I are doing the JMT and I will bring the Reactor, larger capacity to boil two dinners and breakfasts worth of water at a time.
If you've got both the Sol Ti and the Reactor, then a stove junkie you are indeed. :)

Both good stoves. The Reactor is darned heavy, but boy in rough weather, there's no better stove (down to about 20F, below that I'd go with something else, depending on the elevation).

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Return to Outdoor Gear & Apparel, Food, Books