The New Jetboil Sol

Reviews and discussion. For sale, wanted, trades, donations. Online deals.

The New Jetboil Sol

Postby Hikin_Jim » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:21 pm

I've posted a few things on my blog leading up to this, but I've now completed my review of the new Jetboil Sol.

The new Jetboil Sol

The new Jetboil Sol features a smaller, lighter pot in either all aluminum or in titanium with an aluminum heat exchanger. In my weighings, I found only about a 1oz difference between the two. Please see the table in my review for details. In addition to the smaller, lighter pot, both versions of the Sol feature this significantly lightened up burner with substantially improved piezoelectric ignition:

The new burner is good, but the regulator valve makes real cooking difficult. The adjustment is tricky to say the least in the lower end of the burner's range. Still, cooking can be done if one is willing to fiddle a bit.

For the review as well as all posts leading up to the review, see: The New Jetboil Sol

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby KathyW » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:26 pm

Jim: Out of curiosity, are you buying all those stoves you are testing? If not, who is sending them to you? Does it have something to do with advertising the stoves?
KathyW

Postby Hikin_Jim » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:33 pm

KathyW wrote:Jim: Out of curiosity, are you buying all those stoves you are testing? If not, who is sending them to you? Does it have something to do with advertising the stoves?
Kathy:

The majority of the stoves on my blog are purchased (by me) via eBay, from other stove collectors, gear swaps, etc. Once in a while I'll get a new stove, but that's fairly rare just due to budgetary constraints.

The next largest group are loans from individuals who know of my interest in reviewing a particular stove and have been willing to let me use it for a while. I'm currently reviewing a Backcountry Boiler that is on loan to me from a member of NW Hikers as well as two other wood stoves, one kerosene, two alcohol, and two ESBIT stoves, all of which are loans.

A few of the stoves are from stove companies, such as this one sent by Jetboil to me. Yes, I'm sure that Jetboil realizes that if I write about it they'll get free advertising. That's kind of how it works, although I've only had two major companies with a presence in the US send me anything (MSR, Jetboil). I've also had some cottage gear manufacturers send me some gear (Bluewater). I also do beta testing for 4 stove companies, but that gear I don't review until the gear is released to the public.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby KathyW » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:04 pm

[quote="Hikin_Jim"][quote="KathyW"]Jim: Out of curiosity, are you buying all those stoves you are testing? If not, who is sending them to you? Does it have something to do with advertising the stoves?[/quote]Kathy:

The majority of the stoves on my blog are purchased (by me) via eBay, from other stove collectors, gear swaps, etc. Once in a while I'll get a new stove, but that's fairly rare just due to budgetary constraints.

The next largest group are loans from individuals who know of my interest in reviewing a particular stove and have been willing to let me use it for a while. I'm currently reviewing a Backcountry Boiler that is on loan to me from a member of NW Hikers as well as two other wood stoves, one kerosene, two alcohol, and two ESBIT stoves, all of which are loans.

A few of the stoves are from stove companies, such as this one sent by Jetboil to me. Yes, I'm sure that Jetboil realizes that if I write about it they'll get free advertising. That's kind of how it works, although I've only had two major companies with a presence in the US send me anything (MSR, Jetboil). I've also had some cottage gear manufacturers send me some gear (Bluewater). I also do beta testing for 4 stove companies, but that gear I don't review until the gear is released to the public.

HJ[/quote]

Thanks for the info. Hopefully, as word about your blog and stove testing gets out the volume of free stoves that manufacturers send to you will increase - that sure will be nice.
KathyW

Postby lilbitmo » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:08 pm

Nice write up Jim, if you are planning on making any more of those scrambled eggs when you test another device let me know, I'll plan a hike around being there at "Dinner/Breakfast time" :wink: :D
lilbitmo

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:33 am

lilbitmo wrote:Nice write up Jim, if you are planning on making any more of those scrambled eggs when you test another device let me know, I'll plan a hike around being there at "Dinner/Breakfast time" :wink: :D
Ask me about my fresh baked chocolate chip muffin cooking some time. :)

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Re: The New Jetboil Sol

Postby HH8 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:47 am

Hikin_Jim wrote:the new Jetboil Sol.

Kinda looks like a coffee mug. Is that part the stove or the pot?
I did not see fuel in those pix. What kind does it use?
I LOVE :P the end result, but can't quite picture it in action.
HH8

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:12 pm

HH8 wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:the new Jetboil Sol.

Kinda looks like a coffee mug. Is that part the stove or the pot?
I did not see fuel in those pix. What kind does it use?
I LOVE :P the end result, but can't quite picture it in action.
The mug shaped object in the first photo is the pot.

There's a link in the first post that will take you to dozens of photos, but this should give you some idea:

Basically, it's an upright canister stove, but a very sophisticated one. It's a pretty nice set up.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby HH8 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:38 am

Hikin_Jim wrote:Basically, it's an upright canister stove, but a very sophisticated one. It's a pretty nice set up.

Tricky! I like :lol:
HH8

Postby Hikin_Jim » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:07 pm

HH8 wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:Basically, it's an upright canister stove, but a very sophisticated one. It's a pretty nice set up.

Tricky! I like :lol:
It's pretty cool how everything nests inside the pot: The canister legs, the pot support, the burner, and a 100g canister of gas.

For longer trips where you need more than about 100g of gas, you'll have to carry a 200g canister outside the pot, but you'd be surprised how far an efficient stove like the Jetboil can stretch a canister of gas.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Next

Return to Outdoor Gear & Apparel, Food, Books