Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves)

Reviews and discussion. For sale, wanted, trades, donations. Online deals.

Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves)

Postby Hikin_Jim » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:32 pm

Sure, you can run your alcohol stove on methanol. That's what comes in a yellow bottle of HEET. I mean it's cheap and available and all -- but it doesn't have as much heat content as ethanol. In other words, you have to carry more methanol just to do the same amount of cooking.

OK, so I can get more heat from ethanol than methanol, great, but alcohols with high ethanol content tend to be more expensive. Just how much weight can I save? In other words, Is Ethanol Worth It?

Join me on today's Adventure in Stoving as we "do the numbers" on ethanol.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves)

Postby HH8 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:11 am

Hikin_Jim wrote:you have to carry more methanol just to do the same amount of cooking.

In my kitchen at home I want the most bang for the buck, but when carry each ounce I need, only the most concentrated alcohol goes hiking.
HH8

Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves)

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:19 am

HH8 wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:you have to carry more methanol just to do the same amount of cooking.

In my kitchen at home I want the most bang for the buck, but when carry each ounce I need, only the most concentrated alcohol goes hiking.
If you can get reagent grade ethanol, that's the best there is in terms of amount of heat per gram. Everclear (190 proof) is pretty good too, and no toxic additives.

Klean Strip Green Denatured Alcohol has a high ethanol content as does regular Sunnyside brand denatured alcohol.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Return to Outdoor Gear & Apparel, Food, Books