Merrell Moab Ventilators -- Any Sole Tearing Problems?

Reviews and discussion. For sale, wanted, trades, donations. Online deals.

Merrell Moab Ventilators -- Any Sole Tearing Problems?

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:46 pm

I bought a pair of Merrell Moab Ventilators (low tops) a few months ago. I generally like them although their laces break more easily than just about any pair of outdoor/hiking type shoes I've ever owned.

I did run into one problem with them about a week ago: one of the lugs on the heel tore almost completely off. I was doing some pretty high altitude XC stuff in the SGW.

En route to East Dobbs Peak:

So, overall I like them, but maybe not the best for rocky high country XC stuff? Have others had problems with the soles tearing?

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby Sally » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:02 pm

My Moab Ventilators have held up very well with all the miles I've put on 'em. But we little girly girls are probably much easier on our boots than you guys.
Sally

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:49 pm

Sally wrote:My Moab Ventilators have held up very well with all the miles I've put on 'em. But we little girly girls are probably much easier on our boots than you guys.
Says the woman who just came off the HST. lol.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby phydeux » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:05 pm

I've had a pair for a few years and haven't had any problems with them. The rubber on the soles does seem to wear faster than other brands I've used, but they are just wearing naturally (no ripping of the treads or delaminating of the soles). The tops get a little sloppy as they break-in, so probably no real ankle support unless you lace them up pretty snugly. Laces haven't been a problem either. I use mine mostly on trails, with just a little off-trail scampering. I'll probably have to replace them in the near future just to due normal wear.
3 of the 5 voices in my head are telling me to "Go for it!"
phydeux

Postby sparky » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:52 am

The only issue I have had is the stitching coming apart. I am on my second pair, and they are doing it too. My first pair lasted one season. This pair has seen more miles but seem to be holding up better. I do love these shoes, they are perfect for me. Cross country above treeline and repeated stream crossings tears them up, but I am OK with that. Great all around shoe.
"True happiness is the absence of striving for happiness"
sparky

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:54 am

Thanks, Sparky.

I like the shoes, but on my first pair, the leather upper tore. My second pair, the sole tore. Maybe I shouldn't expect too much since they are lightweight shoes. Or maybe I should just stick to trails and not use them for XC stuff.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby Dave G » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:10 pm

Hi Jim, I love the shoes but am a little disappointed in their durability. The problem I have is the outter side of the upper wearing out/tearing. The first pair did it in a month or so and Zappos sent me a new pair at no charge. I'm having the same issue with the second pair, but they are lasting a little longer. A friend I spoke to on Whitney last weekend told me she has had durability issues her Moab's too. I'm not that graceful with foot placement and I do a lot of XC, so maybe I'm expecting too much from a lightweight shoe but I'll probably still buy them because they're so danged comfortable!
Dave G

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:55 pm

Dave G wrote:I love the shoes but am a little disappointed in their durability.

I'm not that graceful with foot placement and I do a lot of XC, so maybe I'm expecting too much from a lightweight shoe but ... they're so danged comfortable!

That about sums it up. :)

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby bluerail » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:57 am

13 pairs later I've decided the part under the ball of my foot breaksdown to quickly even with superfeet in them....my biggest complaint. The laces definitely SUCK and have to be replaced with good ones. Never really had any other issues with them, being about the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn outta the box.

REI had Oboz on sale so giving them a try, and so far, I like them...just not as comfy.
bluerail

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:42 am

Yeah, the laces really are weak.

Let us know how it goes with the Oboz.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Next

Return to Outdoor Gear & Apparel, Food, Books