Caffeine bike shorts for weight loss?

Reviews and discussion. For sale, wanted, trades, donations. Online deals.

Caffeine bike shorts for weight loss?

Postby Ellen » Thu May 26, 2011 12:47 pm

Howdy All,
I was recently interviewed by Lori Corbin, the "Food Coach" for the Los Angeles ABC affiliate station on the effectiveness of caffeine laced bike shorts and patches for weight loss.
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/video?id=81 ... id=8148458
Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu May 26, 2011 4:04 pm

But do they have mocha latte bike shorts?

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby » Thu May 26, 2011 6:59 pm

nice job Ellen!!!

god these stupid gimmicks kill me.

just farking drink coffee, why would you want to have pants to do that? oh right, localized fat loss myth. (although the alpha / beta receptor ratios are different in stubborn fat, but that's a whole other level).

has anyone sold a ephedrine / caffeine cream yet? that sounds like a good one. burn off that thigh fat, while giving you supple skin at the same time!!

Postby Sally » Thu May 26, 2011 10:43 pm

I'll take my caffeine orally, if you please!

Great interview, Ellen.
Sally

Postby phydeux » Mon May 30, 2011 7:48 am

The whole 'clip' was shown on the 1/2 hour KABC news broadcast that followed the Indy 500.

I'll stay with the standard 'decaffinated' clothing.

Wonder what happens when you wash the shorts? Everything in the laundry smells like coffee? or coffee and 2 weeks of yourself?!?! :shock:
3 of the 5 voices in my head are telling me to "Go for it!"
phydeux

Postby Ellen » Mon May 30, 2011 8:58 am

Howdy Ze :)

Gels or creams containing aminophylline (an asthma drug) are also promoted for spot reduction. Preliminary research suggested that treatment with an aminophylline cream reduced thigh circumference by about 1 cm (1/2 in.) — an amount so slight it would be impossible to detect (Greenway, et al., 1995; Tufts Univ. Diet & Nutrition Newsletter, 1994).

Later research did not corroborate these findings (Collis, et al., 1999). In 2004, the Federal Trade Commission charged that ads for Dermalin,® Cutting Gel,® and Tummy Flattening Gel® made unsubstantiated claims that these products caused rapid and visibly obvious fat loss in areas of the body to which they were applied.

The Federal Trade Commission has identified 7 Red Flags for Bogus Weight Loss Claims:
• Causes loss of 2 lb or more a week for a month or more without diet or exercise
• Causes substantial weight loss no matter what or how much the consumer eats
• Causes permanent weight loss (even when the consumer stops using product)
• Blocks fat or calorie absorption to enable consumers to lose substantial weight
• Safely enables consumers to lose more than 3 lb per week for more than four weeks
• Causes substantial weight loss for all users
• Causes substantial weight loss by wearing the product or rubbing it into the skin.

Howdy Phydeux :)

During the interview, I noted that if indeed the caffeine-laced bike shorts caused spot reduction, what would happen to the wearer's "nether regions." Would these shrink as well :wink: ? Visions of the Seinfeld episode where George talks about "shrinkage" after coming out of very cold water :lol: Lori and the camera man cracked up. Of course, that part of the interview couldn't be broadcast.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon May 30, 2011 10:43 am

:lol: Love to see the out takes from that interview. :lol:

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby arronbond » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:52 pm

[deleted by perry. if you see spam, please email me. thanks.]
arronbond

Postby HH8 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:03 pm

Hey, I achieved a spot reduction of fat when I snagged my thigh on a branch yesterday
HH8

Postby Ellen » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:28 pm

Howdy All :)

My BS detector started clanging loudly when I read the post about Zija so I looked up the company.

Zija XM3 Capsules contain two stimulants -- caffeine and methylhexaneamine or 1,3 DMAA. The 1,3 DMAA goes by another name on the supplement label but it's the same stimulant. 1,3 DMAA is similar in structure to amphetamines and the now banned ephedrine. It can also cause athletes to fail a doping test.

Run away as fast as you can :wink:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Next

Return to Outdoor Gear & Apparel, Food, Books