UNUSUAL HIKING ATTIRE

Reviews and discussion. For sale, wanted, trades, donations. Online deals.

Postby asabat » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:46 am

You mean Image ?

Not my style, but not unheard of on a long distance hike.
asabat

Postby AlanK » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:56 am

asabat wrote:Not my style, but not unheard of on a long distance hike.

Referring, I assume, to sunglasses worn on top of the head?
AlanK

Postby asabat » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:59 pm

AlanK wrote:
asabat wrote:Not my style, but not unheard of on a long distance hike.

Referring, I assume, to sunglasses worn on top of the head?

Of course. I find when I carry my sunglasses that way they tend to pick up sweat from my hair, requiring me to clean them to put them back on. Any good hiker knows you need to protect them in a fancy hard case bought from the local backpacking store. Just ask the store - they'll tell you I'm right!

Speaking of hair, at the ADZ a year or two ago a hiker with full dreadlocks entered the "Useless Gear" contest. He won once he cut off is dreads, reducing total FSO weight (from skin out weight) by several pounds.
asabat

Postby AlanK » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Rick M wrote:The following pic taken from just below top of Baldy Bowl above Ski Hut, rated "R"

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2475 ... 3760vRVbeq

This is what you call "minimum attire" for winter mountaineering in Southern California.

This incident did not happen on the Mt. Baldy lifts, but it should provide food for thought for those who are too lazy to hike up.
Last edited by AlanK on Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlanK

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:13 pm

At least they got his "best side." :lol:
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby Rumpled » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:33 pm

WTF with the street hockey stick.
"I need a hiking pole, but I don't have $ and my pack already weighs 80 lbs. I'll just get my kid's street hockey stick out of the garage. It's long enough. And, hey; it only weighs a lb instead of a couple of ounces for a hiking pole"
Rumpled

Postby bluerail » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:28 pm

Thanks asabat. I did that this am on my way to work and then got too busy to figure out which button I pressed at the wrong time. Now I have computer problems and have to use one of my kids.

Well anyway....thought the hair fit the thread.
bluerail

Postby FIGHT ON » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:42 pm

Rumpled wrote:WTF with the street hockey stick.
"I need a hiking pole, but I don't have $ and my pack already weighs 80 lbs. I'll just get my kid's street hockey stick out of the garage. It's long enough. And, hey; it only weighs a lb instead of a couple of ounces for a hiking pole"

Ya I know! So I asked. And this is where memory doesn't serve. I was too fixed on how huge her pack was and quizzed her on it. Accusing her of carrying ballons filled with helium and such. :D I was allowed to lift it up. :shock: It really was over 80lbs!
She was on one of those switchbacks just before Trail Crest. Going over and down with her friend to camp for a few days.
The stick was being carried for, in memory of some hockey player friend or relative, someone who I think died. I might be wrong but it was something like that. :? Anyways she was strong!
FIGHT ON

Getting Air

Postby lilbitmo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:11 pm

Now the guy on the Ski lift in Colorado gives new meaning to the term "Getting Air" on Ski jumps, lucky for us the Photo guy only showed the evening shots of the Moon and nothing to do with the daylight "Full Monty" side.

You got to wonder if this hasn't happened before?
lilbitmo

Postby FIGHT ON » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:23 pm

This guy was on the Mt. Wilson Trail just below the David Trinkle bench. (this is 5 miles from the trail head) He set his bike down only for this shot but he had been carrying it up over his shoulder. (It's not a mountain bike! Look at the gears, no shocks.) Said he was headed up to the Mt.Wilson Red Box Road where he planned to ride down the ACH and back to his house in Sierra Madre.:shock:
FIGHT ON

PreviousNext

Return to Outdoor Gear & Apparel, Food, Books