North Palisade

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

North Palisade

Postby jth » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:32 am

Hello Cy, Torben, and everybody,

I'm off to North Palisade in about a week (3-7 August), and I was wondering if anybody has been there before or has any recommendations. (Anybody interested in coming along?)

Did C2C a couple weeks ago; it was really hot...

Good hiking,
Joe
jth

North Palisade

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:03 am

. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby KathyW » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:53 am

North Palisade is on my list, but I probably won't try it until 2009 or 2010. When you get back, please report on how it went - it will be very informative to hear about your climb.

Middle Palisade might be my only Sierra 14er this year (that's if i can get up it), and that will be easier than North Palisade.
KathyW

Postby kevin trieu » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:23 pm

jth,

what kind of recommendation are you looking for?
kevin trieu

Postby jth » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:26 am

Hello Cy, Kathy, Kevin. The climb didn't go well, since I encountered two thunderstorms. After that, I decided just to come home. I'll try to get another permit to go again.
jth

North Palisade

Postby Cy Kaicener » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:36 am

I am sorry to hear that Joe. How high up did you get?
It seems like the Rockies are having similar problems with thunder storms. 15 hikers were trapped by a storm
http://www.timescall.com/news_story.asp?ID=10442

Udi of the Outdoorsclub is planning on doing Skyline this Sunday. Can you believe that he plans on starting at 5 am in this heat.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Re: North Palisade

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:55 pm

Cy Kaicener wrote:Udi of the Outdoorsclub is planning on doing Skyline this Sunday. Can you believe that he plans on starting at 5 am in this heat.
I can't believe that he's trying at all in this heat. :shock:

And such a late start ... better alert RMRU.

Speaking of RMRU, their website doesn't have any missions posted since around 6/21. Are people being safer and there are no incidents or is RMRU so overwhelmed by the volume of calls that they don't have time to post?
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby Jim Bakos » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:26 am

Jim:

All's quiet on the western front...

I don’t know if it’s the heat, the price of gas, or if folks are just being more cautious in their wilderness travels, but we haven’t had a mission since the Ramona Trail incident.

Of course, now that I’ve said that we’ll get a ton of missions back-to-back, and I’ll get blamed for bringing in the bad juju…

Hike safe!

--Jim

P.S. (From another thread) Ellen you are very welcome! Glad to see you’re back in the wilderness and doing so fantastically well!!
If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants -- Isaac Newton
Jim Bakos

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:15 pm

Thanks, Jim. I'm glad the lack of posts reflects a lack of missions.

I was out there a few weeks ago and did Cornell Pk, Jean Pk, and Marion Mtn. We rode up in a full tram car, and there were plenty of people out on the mountain. I guess either God is giving you SAR guys a break or people got a sudden case of the smarts after reading about Ellen. :D (I bought a PLB after reading through Ellen's report as did another member of this forum)
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby Jim Bakos » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:24 pm

See! I told you…

This morning at zero-dark-thirty I was driving the rescue truck up the mountain to search for a missing hiker on San Jac. He was found in the saddle between Jean and Marion. He apparently blew through the junction coming down from the peak and wandered off toward Jean. He’d gone up with a large group, but stayed behind when they headed down – he was talking on his cell phone, and therefore too busy to follow the group…

Hike safe.
If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants -- Isaac Newton
Jim Bakos

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics