Dodging the headless horseman on Forsee

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Dodging the headless horseman on Forsee

Postby Ellen » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:36 pm

Howdy all :-)

Lance and I headed up the Forsee creek trail in San Gorgonio last Sunday. We started at Lance's preferred time of O-dark-hundred (a quarter after 5 AM). The trailhead greeted us with the wonderfully spicy scent of Jeffrey pine.

As we ascended, we watched dark clouds move over San Gorgonio and could feel the humidity of the impending rain. We encountered many backpackers hustling downhill to beat the weather. At about 9,000 feet, it started to rain. Lance noted dryly, "So much for the sunscreen."

We donned our REI ultra-light pants and jackets. As we continued upwards, we were treated to the rumble of thunder and occasional flashes of lightening. A hiker coming down cheered us on, saying "Hiking uphill into the storm, awesome!" Hikers, yeah, we're different.

Once on the ridge the rain lessened and we were surrounded by an eerie mist. It was also oddly quiet. The enclosing mist and strange stillness created a sense of being totally cut-off from the world. As we made our way up the ridge trail towards Anderson peak, I anticipated the arrival of the headless horseman or at least Norman Bates.

Lance remarked how great the view was from the top of Anderson peak (hah hah). We hunkered down in some rocks for lunch. It was about 8:30 AM and a balmy 45 degrees. We bagged East San Bernardino peak prior to heading down. The thick mist against the peak's south face provided the illusion one could step off into oblivion.

It didn't take long to start over-heating on the way down and we peeled off our rain gear. By the time we reached the trailhead, we were glad we'd applied sun screen prior to hiking. Nothing like experiencing four seasons in one day hike. We completed a bizarre (but entertaining) hike with excellent Mexican food in Forest Falls.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
PS No monkeys sighted
Ellen

Re: Dodging the headless horseman on Forsee

Postby Rob » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:15 pm

Ellen wrote:Lance and I headed up the Forsee creek trail in San Gorgonio last Sunday.
Ellen, when the rain shower reached Johns Meadow at 7 a.m. and I heard the patter of rain drops on my tent, I rolled over and went back to sleep. We made a lazy day of it and rationalized our slow start telling each other that we did not want to roll up wet tents. We returned to Forsee TH parking at 1 p.m. finding only 3 vehicles there: our dirty blue station wagon, plus a clean blue SUV parked in the sun near our station wagon and a clean tan SUV parked in the shade. The tan SUV was yours?
Rob

Postby Ellen » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:56 pm

Howdy Rob,

We returned to the trail head at 12:45 PM, so unfortunately missed seeing you. I have an aging silver Honda Accord Coup.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics