Missing hiker on San G.

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Missing hiker on San G.

Postby tinaballina » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:08 pm

tinaballina

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:37 pm

This morning, the searchers are combing the trails and have placed trail blocks in hopes of locating the hiker.
Trail blocks? I suppose I'll have to show a passport and a birth certificate to get by? :lol:

Seriously, I hope she's found. I do wish that parties would stay together. It's a pretty common theme among recent SAR incidents that the parties had split up.
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Hiker missing on San Gorgonio 7/11

Postby Cy Kaicener » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:00 pm

They want to keep people out of the area because thunderstorms are expected later today. Here in San Bernadino grey clouds are blocking out the sun at 1 pm which means that it is probably raining there now or any time soon.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby tinaballina » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:19 pm

LOL, Jim....

The storms better pass, i am planning to go again on july 19th. i know it will pass for then. everyone is forbidding me to do skyline until mid september....its too hot.

cy, when are you going to take me on a hike above the tram? the only hike i know up there is the peak trail, let me know.
tinaballina

Re: Hiker missing on San Gorgonio 7/11

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:04 pm

Cy Kaicener wrote:They want to keep people out of the area because thunderstorms are expected later today. Here in San Bernadino grey clouds are blocking out the sun at 1 pm which means that it is probably raining there now or any time soon.
Oh, you mean they're closing some trails. That makes more sense. I've never heard of a "trail block" before. I was trying to visualize it.

That poor girl out there. :( Thunderstorms are no time to be lost on San G. I hope this ends well. Maybe the Boy Scouts will find her like they did that last guy, Raphael Thurber who wound up coming out at the Momyer trail head instead of at Vivian. I sure hope that she didn't summit and then go down the Sky High Trail and wind up in the Whitewater drainage which is some of the most remote country in Southern California. There was one kid who came out about a week (10 days?) later or so after going missing on San G. Then there was that Boy Scout 15 or so years ago who was never found but his camera was found in the Whitewater drainage.

I hope she's sitting in Forest Falls right now having a bite to eat at the little store or something having walked out on her own and is fine.
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby KathyW » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:19 pm

KathyW

Missing hiker on San G

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:31 am

Tina - I dont know the trails above the tram all that well. I will be doing Skyline on Sept 6 th ahead of the outdoorsclub unless there is a heat wave, and also Oct 19 th at midnight with the Sierra Club.
The lost hikers group were on the trail for 15 hours after a late start which means that she probably lost the trail in the dark.
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?secti ... id=6260585

UPDATE - She has been found and flown out by helicopter as per Rim of the World. It rained overnight.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby AlanK » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:43 am

They found her!
http://www.rimoftheworld.net/columns/neufeld/search_underway_for

She was near Raywood Flat, which is at about 70-00', 3.6 miles south of San Gorgonio Peak. Seriously off course, but evidently ok.
AlanK

Postby AlanK » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:10 pm

From the Los Angeles Times
Corona woman found after 2 nights in the San Gorgonio Wilderness
The hiker used a cellphone after being separated from a group climbing Mt. San Gorgonio. After a helicopter rescue, she was taken to a hospital for treatment. An Inyo County hiker remains missing.
By Mary Engel
Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

12:53 PM PDT, July 12, 2008

A 21-year-old Corona woman who got lost Thursday while hiking Southern California's highest peak and spent two nights in the San Gorgonio Wilderness was rescued by helicopter this morning after calling 911 on her cellphone.

Grace Hilario was found about 7:30 a.m. and taken to Loma Linda University Medical Center to be treated for dehydration and exposure, according to San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department spokeswoman Jodi Miller.

The San Gorgonio Wilderness is in the San Bernardino Mountains about 75 miles east of Los Angeles.

Early Thursday afternoon, Hilario, whom Miller described as an inexperienced hiker, struck out ahead of a group of friends on the Vivian Creek trail. The rest of the group reached the summit of 11,499-foot Mt. San Gorgonio and returned to the trailhead parking lot around 10:30 p.m. without seeing any sign of her.

The hikers notified the Sheriff's Department around 11 p.m., and by dawn Friday, 30 search-and-rescue volunteers were combing the trails, Miller said.

Late Friday night, Hilario reached the sheriff's dispatcher by calling 911 on her cellphone. But her description of her location was vague, Miller said, and deputies advised her to stay where she was and turn off her phone until morning to conserve the battery. She told deputies that she still had food and water, Miller said.

A helicopter search began at first light, with deputies again in contact with the missing hiker by cellphone. They found her about eight miles southeast of the trailhead parking lot.

"She obviously got disoriented," Miller said. "If you're going to start with a group, you need to start and end that hike together."

Another hiker remained missing in treacherous terrain in Inyo County, where sheriff's officials called off a weeklong search Friday evening. The hiker, Ric DeVan of San Diego, signed a register book at the summit of Mt. Goode on July 4, reporting that he planned to hike next to nearby Mt. Johnson. He was supposed to meet his family at Treasure Lakes late that afternoon, but he never showed up.

Steep drop-offs and unstable terrain make hiking between the two peaks extremely dangerous, sheriff's officials said in a press statement.

Search teams from as far away as Los Angeles and Marin counties had combed the area in what Inyo County Sheriff Bill Lutze called one of the largest ever conducted in his county.

"Search teams gave everything they could to locate Mr. DeVan," Lutze said in the statement. "This is very difficult to reconcile, for everyone involved in the operation."

Officials said any new information about DeVan's whereabouts will be investigated.

mary.engel@latimes.com
AlanK

Postby lee » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:14 pm

More details from the San Diego Union
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/riverside/20080712-1553-hiker.html
Lost Corona hiker located miles off trail

SIGNONSANDIEGO NEWS SERVICES

3:53 p.m. July 12, 2008

RIVERSIDE – A 21-year-old Corona woman who got lost descending Southern California's highest peak was located miles off-trail Saturday morning, hoisted into a rescue helicopter and flown to a hospital, authorities said.

Grace Hilario, 21, of Corona, was suffering from dehydration and two nights of exposure to cold temperatures at elevations over 6,000 feet, according to accounts of her rescue. She also had bruises on her legs from climbing rocks to get cell phone reception, her father said.

“She was located southeast of Raywood Flat, almost to the Riverside County line,” said sheriff's spokeswoman Jodi Miller. “They found her at 7:37 a.m. and successfully hoisted her at 8:24 a.m.”

Hilario's parents said Saturday afternoon they are overwhelmed with gratitude and respect for the volunteers and aviators who saved their daughter.

“The rescuers are great,” said Grace's mother, Myrna Hilario, 48, reached Saturday afternoon at their home in Corona. “I salute them. I still feel like I'm dreaming, and I have a slap to my face that awakened me from a nightmare.

“Of course, I was worried I would never see her again.”

Grace's father, Emmanuel Hilario, 54, said his daughter will remain hospitalized overnight for observation.

“We are so grateful about the efforts they did to locate my daughter,” Emmanuel Hilario said. “There were about 100 volunteers out there, and we'd really like to thank San Bernardino County sheriff's and fire. They went beyond the call in professionalism. . . .

“Grace is okay, she's in high spirits,” Emmanuel Hilario said. “ She has bruises on her legs because she had to climb rocks to get reception for her cell phone. That is what saved her. It got dark and she called us at 11 p.m. last night and we were amazed.”

Grace told her parents she was hanging in there, but she was clearly daunted by her situation.

“She said she was alone with only the moonlight and silence,” Emmanuel Hilario said. “She said she was scared and she cried a little bit.”

Mountain winds were light this morning for the rescue, said sheriff's Cpl. Brian Miller, who piloted the Bell UH-1H “Huey” helicopter during the hoist operation.

“It was about 6,700 feet elevation in the South Fork drainage of Whitewater, east of a mountain called Snow Peak, right near the county line,” Cpl. Miller said, speaking from the San Bernardino County sheriff's aviation unit hangar in Rialto.

“We hovered in and it was about a 75-foot hoist,” Cpl. Miller said. “We lowered a medic and backed off so he could do an assessment.”

Volunteer Medic Dave Drott helped Hilario into a harness for the hoist up to the Huey.

“The terrain was very steep and treacherous,” Drott said, speaking from the aviation unit hangar in Rialto. “We don't how she got way out there. It was one of the north-facing slopes of Whitewater Canyon.”

Footing was uneven on the canyon slope, with dirt, gravel and loose rocks, Drott said.

“She wasn't what you'd call calm and cool when I got there,” Drott said of Hilario. “She was very frightened and she had this look on her face like she couldn't believe we were there to rescue her.

“She did say she was glad I was there,” Drott said.

Crew Chief Deputy Mike Ells operated the hoist to raise Hilario and Drott back to the helicopter. When they were safely inside the chopper, Cpl. Miller banked the airship west back towards Angelus Oaks.

“We flew them over to Angelus so she could be re-united with her family,” Cpl. Miller said. “They were hugging and taking pictures.”

Hilario had last been seen Thursday on or above Vivian Creek Trail as she tried to summit 11,499-foot San Gorgonio Mountain. She had been walking faster than the group she started with and they became separated.

A volunteer firefighter at the search command post in Angelus Oaks said Hilario had been taken to Loma Linda University Medical Center.

“We flew her down to Loma Linda so she could be fully checked out,” Cpl. Miller said.

News of the woman's rescue this morning traveled fast in the mountains. Gail Forgues, co-owner of Elkhorn General Store in Forest Falls, near the Vivian Creek trailhead where Hilario and her friends had first started their summit attempt Thursday morning, said she'd heard of the rescue from a Forest Ranger.

“She has been found, according to one of the rangers,” said Forgues, whose store often serves as information central in Forest Falls. “She was in a helicopter and safe, probably about 9 a.m.”

A U.S. Forest Service spokeswoman at Mill Creek Ranger Station also confirmed Hilario was found this morning.

Hilario used her cell phone to call 911 late Friday and she eventually spoke with sheriff's Deputy Paul Franklin, coordinator for San Gorgonio's search-and-rescue volunteers, Jodi Miller said.

Hilario told Franklin she believed she was three-quarters of the way up San Gorgonio Mountain and possibly near a stream, Jodi Miller said. Due to the vague description, Franklin told Hilario to remain where she was and to turn off her cell phone to conserve the battery.

Franklin called Hilario at first light today and a helicopter crew used her location descriptions to find her southeast of Raywood Flat, Jodi Miller said. Raywood Flat is southeast of Mill Creek Canyon and several miles from the Vivian Creek trailhead where Grace intended to finish.

“Something like this is really not routine,” Cpl. Miller said. “They never end up where you expect them to be. It was a learning experience for everyone.”

Hilario definitely took a few lessons from the experience, Deputy Franklin said.

“Her spirits were up when we spoke to her on the phone last night, though she was disappointed when she realized we couldn't be out there right away to pick her up,” Franklin said today, speaking from Angelus Oaks.

“But she followed our instructions really well,” Franklin said. “Imagine, you're out there in the woods alone with no one to talk to and then your phone starts working, and somebody tells you to turn it off. But she did it and she called in when we told her to. That showed she had her wits about her.”

Hilario still had some food and water when she was rescued, Franklin said.

“The last thing I asked her was what advice she'd give to other people,” Franklin said. “She said, 'Stay with your group and take a map.' ”

Over the years, some people walking down from San Gorgonio's summit have ended up far off trail, in canyons that open below the summit. They spread out in different directions and have been given such descriptive names as Hell For Sure, Whitewater, and Coon Creek.

Switchbacking trails above and below timberline are faint and easy to lose in faint light or darkness, according to wilderness veterans.
lee

Next

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics