San Gorgonio 9 Peaks 7-4-08

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

San Gorgonio 9 Peaks 7-4-08

Postby AlanK » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:29 am

San Gorgonio Wilderness 9 Peaks is one of our favorite long day hikes. We did it for the fourth time on July 4. In contrast to last year, we did not see a single human being until we had finished 8 peaks. We finally saw two people coming up at the Vivian Creek Trail intersection. After that, it was the Vivian Creek crowd for the rest of the day -- quite a contrast.

This year’s version of the hike went very well. It was warm at the Momyer trailhead (70) when we started out, but pretty nice along the ridge – 69 degrees on the summit of Gan Gorgonio. There are lots of downed trees on the Momyer – San Bernardino Peak route, and the brush was quite thick, and hard on the legs, in places. Otherwise, there was little to complain about. High Meadow Springs is running very well. There was a 250 acre fire in the Yucaipa Ridge area on July 3, but it must have been fought effectively because we saw no signs of it on our hike.

We started at 5:10 AM and finally reached our car again at 5:25 PM after 28 miles and a lot of up and down!

Pictures
AlanK

Postby Dave G » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:11 pm

Strong work, Alan! That must have been a helluva traverse along San Berdo Divide; you aged a year! :)

Dave
Dave G

9 Peaks

Postby lilbitmo » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:13 pm

Alan, I'm assuming you went up Momyer and came down the same way?

You did not do the Angelus Oaks/Momyer end to end hike?

Thanks

lilbitmo
lilbitmo

Re: 9 Peaks

Postby AlanK » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:43 pm

Dave G wrote:Strong work, Alan! That must have been a helluva traverse along San Berdo Divide; you aged a year! :)

You are right. This aging thing seems to happen every year! What's up with that? :lol:

lilbitmo wrote:Alan, I'm assuming you went up Momyer and came down the same way?
You did not do the Angelus Oaks/Momyer end to end hike?

We went up Momyer to the trail to San Bernardino peak, headed over to San Bernardino Peak and then picked off the rest of the nine. We descended from San Gorgonio via the Vivian Vreek trail and closed the loop with a couple of miles along Valley of the Falls Road. I added a map to the pictures.
AlanK

Postby FIGHT ON » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:20 pm

Great hike Eric, (and Alan I guess :D)
Alan, why are their different colors on your route? Can't tell which one is the one you took. :?
FIGHT ON

Postby Rob » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:44 pm

Average speed over 2 mph for 12 hours entitled you to high-calorie treats on the drive home. :D
Rob

Postby zippetydude » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:02 pm

Interesting you should say that. When I finished a long trail once, a friend of mine saw the Polar download that I did with heart rate, etc. He saw the calories and said, "Wow! You can eat anything you want today!" I have to admit, it is a nice benefit to spending time on foot touring the great outdoors.

z
zippetydude

Postby KathyW » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:33 am

Alan: That sounds like a great hike and such a nice way to spend the day with your son. I still need to give that hike a try.

Kathy
KathyW

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics