SAR: San J vs. San G

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

SAR: San J vs. San G

Postby AlanK » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:28 pm

This section of the message board has been dead for over a week. So, here's something to wake it up.

From the SGWA Message Board:
Posted by Kandy on April 21, 2008, 10:15:26
Why is it that there are so many rescues in the San Jacinto area (all year round), yet very few in the San Gorgonio area?

I made the following (lame) reply:
Just a guess, but maybe their rescues get better publicity. If there really are more rescues, another guess would be that having a tram dump people off in the backcountry might contribute.

But are there really more rescues on San J?
AlanK

SAR -San J vs San G

Postby Cy Kaicener » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:06 pm

Visit http://rmru.org to see the rescues on San J - When you click on Missions you can go as far back as the 60's - You dont hear of too many rescues on San G or is that because I dont go there as often :)
The tram is definately a contributing factor.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Re: SAR -San J vs San G

Postby AlanK » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:00 pm

Cy Kaicener wrote:You dont hear of too many rescues on San G or is that because I dont go there as often :)

Even if you go there, do you hear of rescues? There were at least a couple of rescues on San G this winter that were mentioned on the SGW Board. There is a San Gorgonio SAR Web site, but is does not look to be up to date and I could not find a complete list of SAR activity. Or any 2008 activity.

If you recall the deadly month of January, 2004, there were more incidents in the SGW than on San Jacinto. I'll bet that the SGW has as many problems as San Jacinto does.
AlanK

Postby Rob » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:28 pm

How many SAR groups cover SGW?
Rob

Postby FIGHT ON » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:40 pm

What? Another message board?? Oh boy! Thanks AlanK! :D
FIGHT ON

Postby Jim Bakos » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:35 am

The tram does contribute to the increased amount of people that enjoy the SJ wilderness compared to other southern California wilderness areas. But, the tram is also a huge asset for SAR missions in the SJ wilderness.

Things most of you haven’t noticed like: Circles painted on the lower paved parking lots for helicopter pads, a dedicated antenna and command post at the upper tram station, the tram personnel taking cars up early, or holding cars late for SAR teams, etc…

Secondly: We have a great Webmaster (prop’s to my pal Patrick!). We (he) tries to get information on the web in a timely manner. The press really loves the flow of information we provide, this leads to more accurate stories both printed and broadcast by the media. The media is going to report on the story anyway, it my as well be correct information.

The media exposure is a double-edged sword: On one hand it takes resources from us to keep the lines of communication open. But, on the other it gives us a wider base to solicit donations – being that donations are our sole source of funding for the equipment we use to rescue folks.

A symbiotic relationship: SAR+Tram+Media…

Hike safe!

--Jim
If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants -- Isaac Newton
Jim Bakos

Postby Rob » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:08 am

Those of us who not on SAR/MRU teams should support and encourage those who do live on the beeper. Pick a SAR/MRU organization and donate a few bucks to help put gasoline in their command vehicle. For Riverside MRU, their PayPal donation page is: http://www.rmru.org/donate.htm.

. . . Rob :)
{I am not a member of any SAR/MRU organization; my wife thinks I'm a SAR mission waiting to happen. :) }
Rob

Postby AlanK » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:51 am

AlanK

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:51 pm

Access is undoubtedly a factor. The tram transports people in (practically) the blink of an eye. There's a feeling of closeness to civilization -- you can see PS from several spots -- whereas you have to work for it a bit more in the SGW, driving on some smaller roads and things that clue you in that you're getting a bit more remote. And I can always hop the tram and head out. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people in shorts at the bottom station looking at me like I'm a freak with my Gore Tex etc. And then going out the door at the mountain station and kind of getting this look on their face when the cold air hits them. But hey, "I've paid all that money to ride the tram, so we ARE going hiking."

There's also the notoriety of Skyline which tempts people to test themselves. It's "only" a dozen or fewer miles; there's cold beer at the top; and best of all, you don't have to walk home; just take the tram. Skyline seems to have a disporportionate number of SAR incidents.
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics