gorgonio

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

gorgonio

Postby woodowl » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:01 am

I'm a Pacific Crest Trail hiker who has passes the mountain several times while hiking on the trail, and this year I would like to go to the summit. I will be in that area around the first weekend of May. Do you think it will be doable with hiking poles and ice cleats by then ?
Carl
woodowl

Postby zippetydude » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:55 pm

Probably. If you're coming up from the PCT at Fish Creek, I think you'll be fine. In fact, almost any route will be fine if we don't get any further snow. It's April already, so things are melting, and the snow pack isn't all that deep now. By May, you've got a really good shot. The only consideration will be if the trail is covered, say, for 100 feet or so, by a large snow/ice patch. At that point, you'll have to decide if you can find a way around it, or want to abort. I've done both, so it's entirely possible that you'll be faced with that, but you have a very good shot at this point. When exactly are you going, and what will your route be?

z
zippetydude

Gorgonio

Postby woodowl » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:08 pm

We are looking at May 2nd, and The Vivian Creek Trail.
Carl
woodowl

Postby dhstein313 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:18 pm

Good chance that the trail will be snow free below 9000 ft on the VC trail - especially if we do not get any more snow. BUT we usually have patches above High Camp and on the Ridge towards the peak- through June.. Like Zip said - you might want to abort or hike way up and around the icy parts. The snow does tend to linger up there and get pretty icy with the thaw/freeze effect.

Shutterbugg -from the PCTL -- -check out sgwa.org BB too as the date gets closer.

D
dhstein313

Gorgonio

Postby woodowl » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:46 pm

Thank You Shutterbug for your help .Will any of the other trails to the top have less snow on them ? We will be stopping in Lake Arrowhead to resupply, and take a day off.
Carl
woodowl

Postby dhstein313 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:55 pm

Vivian Creek will be the most snow free in May - it is the most traveled and the most South facing ............ but IMO the least scenic.

SB
dhstein313

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics