Cross/Chuckwalla Mtns.

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Cross/Chuckwalla Mtns.

Postby Dave G » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:56 am

I joined Bob Huey for a nice hike up these peaks. Great weather all day, but the wind started blowing hard towards the end. I opened the door of my Jeep, the wind caught it, and the screws attaching the door limit strap were ripped out of the sheet metal!

Also, we saw quite a bit of what looked like bear scat; didn't know there were bears in that area (?).

Pictures are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/21042415@N ... 080946690/
Dave G

Postby KathyW » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:33 pm

Dave:

That wind must have been really strong to take the door off the hinges - I hope it isn't real costly to fix. Thanks for sharing your pictures and map - they're nice. I'd like to spend some time up in that area eventually.

Kathy
KathyW

Cross/ Chuckwalla mountains

Postby Cy Kaicener » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:18 am

Thanks for the pictures Dave. If the wind was so strong at the cars, I cant imagine what it was like higher up on the ridges.
The Sierra Club - HPS are hiking these two peaks on Saturday and say that the poppy fields should be blooming
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby Dave G » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:41 pm

Hi Kathy~ I just need to remount the little bracket they call the "footman loop" into the door with larger screws. The original ones tore out. Thanks for asking.

Cy~ I didn't see much color (flowers) up there at all yet. Guess it's still a little early. Maybe the warm weather this week will help out and the SC folks will get their poppies. :D
Dave G

Postby tomcat_rc » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:16 pm

I would say that probably not for another 2-3 weeks - we did the hike the week before Dave and summited Cross's neighbor Pk4762 - the hills are full of poppies, blue dick and more - but none blooming yet - I saw one little blue dick bud starting only. Would be better show to wait a couple more weeks.

Good job Dave - but if you let Bob H drive you walked an extra 1/2 mile both ways - he does not like the 4wd sections of that road.
tomcat_rc

Postby Kevin » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:38 pm

If it's flowers you're after, do Onyx #2 near Weldon. The hillsides are awash in color with yellow coreopsis and orange poppies in full bloom - zillions of them it seems. As you climb higher, the chia is starting to bloom along with lupine. Many other flowers too, but I don't know their names.

There are few joshua trees down low which have a flower bud on them - about 12" long.
Kevin

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics