Page 1 of 1
Poison oak, posion ivy, and now . . . POODLES!

Posted:
Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:42 pm
by phydeux
Well, its a plant called the poodle-dog bush, and it causes some irritation similar to posion oak. I came across this warning notice, and thought it might be of interest to those who hike in the lower elevations, or in open areas not yet fully recovered from past fires, during the cooler months:
http://www.bsa-ciec.org/openrosters/Doc ... p?id=37136
Another good reason to enjoy the snow covered hills.


Posted:
Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:12 pm
by Hikin_Jim
Wow. I see that stuff all the time when I hike. Never gave it a thought.

Posted:
Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:12 pm
by zippetydude
Wow. Thanks for the note. That could sure spoil an outing.
z

Posted:
Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:59 am
by magikwalt
Thanks for the update phydeux! My wife is constantly taking pictures of the plants and flowers. That would sure spoil the family get together after a hike.

Posted:
Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:59 am
by phydeux
I think I've experienced this plant before, in the Santa Ana Mtns of southern Orange County; mistook it for a wild blue hibiscus. It has the same colored flowers, but they seem to be longer, and it has fine hairs all over its stems. The reaction I got wasn't as severe as poison oak, but it did form a red rash and was itchy for about a week.
Also note that its found up to 8000 ft - that would make the Skyline trail a probable place to find it. With the previous low rainfall year in 2006-2007 (lots of dead plants/open areas) and this year's (predicted) good wildflower season about to get into full bloom, you could very well encounter it walking through low lying brush.
Purple Poodle Dog Brush

Posted:
Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:43 pm
by dondehamer
I got a severe skin reaction to this plant, and I have never had poison oak, ivy or sumac even though I grew up being outdoors.
My reaction started about a couple of days later. I also noticed red rash on the back of my legs, a sunburn (so I thought). And my shins started itching.
I started hiking shortly after 6 AM in May 2009 on the Cactus to Clouds Trail. I was wearing shorts and a T-shirt. After going thru the beautiful purple plant (and taking pictures!), at 10 AM I decided to apply sun screen, rubbing it all over my arms and legs. Guess where the skin reaction occurred, in full force about 3-4 days later! The reaction bypassed any place that I had not touched.
The only thing that helped was Benadryl cream, which eased the itch for awhile. It took about roughly 2 weeks from first exposure, to when it went away.
Making me itch thinking about it

Posted:
Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:08 pm
by lilbitmo
I cannot be in the same county as poison oak or Ivy, now I have to look out for this fella as well.
I'm itching just thinking about it.
Someone tell me in aint so?

Posted:
Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:51 pm
by Zé
i cry just thinking about it