Current Baldy Conditions

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Current Baldy Conditions

Postby tinaballina » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:26 pm

Hello, does anyone know how the conditions on Baldy are right now?
thank you...
:)
tinaballina

Postby hvydrt » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:48 am

I walked up to the ski hut on Monday. It was pretty icy all the way. Used crampons from just past the register. The last storm didn't produce much snow below the ski hut, I think it rained. :( It may be allot different now with the warm weather we have had the past few days.
hvydrt

Postby tinaballina » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:12 am

thanks for the 411 hvydrt.
:)
tinaballina

Postby AlanK » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:40 pm

I hiked the Ski Hut trail today. I was fighting a bad combination -- a late start and an early turn-around because I wanted to get to Eric's first track meet of the season -- so I ended up going only as high as the ridge above the Ski Hut.

There was sporadic snow on the way to the Hut and plenty above it. It was generally hard and crusty (I went in the morning). I needed crampons and ice axe above the Hut. The trail below it was negotiable in boots, although one should be careful in many places. Lately, however, I have gotten tired of sliding around on relatively easy trails under conditions that do not merit crampons. This week I invested in a pair of Microspikes, which I tried out today below the Hut. I love them. For ordinary travel they made me a lot more sure-footed. They are very light and go on/come off in seconds. They definitely do not move around on one's feet. They are definitely not crampons, but I sure wish I had them during my 21 New York winters.

Pix
AlanK

Current Baldy Conditions

Postby Rick M » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:02 am

A very indirect method, but from up here in the high desert this week the sun has been reflecting off the ridges and peaks of the higher San Gabriel Mountains as though they are ice covered. If anyone goes up this week, could you verify this for me. Thanks.
Rick M

Postby KathyW » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:59 pm

I climbed Baden-Powell today - the snow started at the trailhead. Here's a picture over toward Baldy from Baden-Powell:

A few more pics from Baden-Powell:

http://kathywing.smugmug.com/gallery/4436353_mmkPz#260686541
KathyW

Postby GigaMike » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:02 pm

My friend Arthur and I climbed Baldy on Saturday. We went up the bowl and down the devil's backbone. The snow is melting fast, but there is still plenty of snow in the bowl.

Mt. Baldy Loop - 3.1.08
GigaMike

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics