Baldy @ Night 2/17

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Baldy @ Night 2/17

Postby gregp909 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:23 am

It is amazing how a week of warm weather will deteriorate the snow conditions on a trail that was perfect last weekend.

During this busy holiday weekend the only free time I could find to hike Baldy was late yesterday afternoon into the evening. I left Manker Flats at 4:00pm and passed very few people on the way up -- they were all concerned that I was heading up so late solo. With an almost full moon and the night time temperatures solidifying the snow it turned out to be a great hike.

After taking the regular trail past the Hut an up the ridge to the left (I'll leave the trail straight up the bowl for a time when someone is around to help out if I crash) I reached the summit at 9:00pm. The city lights were an awesome sight for about 15 minutes and then it was time to head back down. I got back to my car at a little past 11:00pm., and was home in bed before midnight.

I am going to have to do this again sometime.
gregp909

Postby simonov » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:44 am

That really sounds awesome. I'm not sure I'm ready to do this in the dark (though last weekend it was dark for the first hour or so of the hike), but the view from the top on a moonlit night must be incredible.

Was it windy? How were the scouts doing at the hut?

I suppose by leaving so late you were able to take advantage of the freezing slush, especially on the trip down. By midday the trail was a slippery mess.

Be sure to post a trip report in the San Gabriel Mountains forum. I am thinking we may have to plan a night climb now . . .
simonov

Postby phydeux » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:25 pm

Nice. Never done it in the winter, but I have night-hiked Mt Baldy during the summer months. Its great to see all the lights down below, and the views out into the desert can be awsome, too. And, as you can expect, you have the trail (and summit) to yourself. :D
3 of the 5 voices in my head are telling me to "Go for it!"
phydeux

Baldy at night 2/17

Postby Cy Kaicener » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:44 pm

Thanks for sharing that trip report Greg. I enjoy hiking Skyline and Baldy from the village starting at midnight in the summer under a full moon. It is great seeing the city lights in moonlight. I can appreciate conditions like this, but would hate to encounter ice on the downhill.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby Schützenweber » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:54 pm

Sunset and Sunrise are my favorite parts of the day!
Schützenweber

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics