Holcomb Valley 33/15 Trail Run

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Holcomb Valley 33/15 Trail Run

Postby KathyW » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:05 am

Has anyone done the Holcomb Valley 33/15 Trail Run they have in Big Bear in June each year? I'm thinking about trying the 15 mile run - it looks like 2200 feet gain, so it would be a big jump up from the 13.1 miles/1200 feet gain run I started with, but a good goal to work toward.

If anyone has done the run, what did you think of it?

http://www.holcombvalleytrailruns.com/
KathyW

Postby zippetydude » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:52 am

Hi Kathy.

I did it a couple of years ago, but I didn't do the 15 mile route. The event as a whole is well run by good people.

That being said, I probably won't run it again - it's just too warm for me that time of year. Running, in my body's opinion, is best done between 30 and 50 degrees. It got to around 80, and by the end I was somewhat dehydrated (despite drinking at every station and carrying water in between, a body will only absorb so much water) and felt sick for several hours afterwards.

If the heat doesn't bother you, and especially if you do the 15 instead of the 33, then I'd guess you'd have a blast. The Cougar Crest Trail hits the PCT at the top of the ridge south of the lake, and you get great views and a really cool trail to explore. I didn't really like the fire roads, but I don't think you'd have much of that on the 15. If you do it, be sure and post about your adventure. I'll be rooting for you!

z
zippetydude

Postby KathyW » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:54 am

Thanks Zip - the heat and the elevation over 7000 feet would make it a tough one for me. It might not be a good one for me.
KathyW

Postby ultrarun33 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:27 pm

Hi Kathy,

I ran the 33 miler a few years ago and did have a positive experience. Great views, great course, great volunteers... Both the 15/33 mile course has a mix of single track and fire roads. The first climb starts out near the start up Cougar Crest trail to the PCT which is the steepest part of the course. After the first climb, the course runs along rolling terrain then into some fairly flat/rolling sections of fire road. You will then get back into the PCT climbing the last climb for the 15miler then back down the Cougar Crest trail (rocky sections) to the start/finish area.

I think the 15 mile course would be a realistic goal to work towards based on your current running + hiking experience.

Good luck if you decide to run it!
ultrarun33

Postby KathyW » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:56 am

Thanks Ultrarun. On my training runs I have done 11.6 miles with 2300 feet gain but I walked too much of the hills and it slowed me down to 3.56 mph, so 15 miles with 2200 feet gain wouldn't be any worse depending on how the altitude and heat affected me that day - I just need to be able to move faster on the hills than I am now. On my 13.1 mile/1200 gain race I was able to move at 4.85 mph, which is pretty fast for me - I only average about 5.5 mph on a flat run. When the course melts out more, I'll go up and give it a try and see how it goes.
KathyW

Postby ultrarun33 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:21 pm

Kathy - My advice is to practice the uphills by power walking especially the steep ones. Walking fast up hills is sometimes faster than running them especially the steep or long ones. Going on how your body feels is a good way to gauge your speed in trail running. As a fairly experienced distance trail runner, I don't bother looking at my min/mile pace during training, but rather focus on consistent effort rate and volume(total time).
ultrarun33

Postby zippetydude » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:27 pm

Kathy: That's good advice. I especially agree that speed in trailrunning is dependent on terrain, so don't worry if it varies.

If you don't like the heat, I'd encourage you to try the 30k in Ridgecrest in December or the same distance in the Calico trail run in January. Yes, they just finished running, but that gives you 10 months to get ready!

In any case, it's very impressive that you're already doing the distance you are, especially with the incline you're taking on. :)

By the way, I hope you had some fun on Vivian this weekend. I did South Fork up to about 11,000, then got stuck below a slick, icy spot that I couldn't get around. I had no ice axe, and have never practiced using one anyway, so I headed back down. It was an extraordinarily beautiful day, so all was well.

I saw only 2 guys heading up towards the peak. I find it amazing (and wonderful!) that with 30+ million people here in california, only a dozen or so try to hit San G peak any given weekend during the winter.

ultra: Did you do Ridgecrest or Calico? Do you recommend any trail races between now and the end of the year?

z
zippetydude

Postby KathyW » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:19 am

Zip: You got higher than we did on Saturday - getting up to 11,000 on day hike this time of year in these conditions is really good - we turned back just before High Creek Camp - didn't like the conditions even with an axe.

You're the second person who has suggested the Ridgecrest run, so I'm going to put it on the list and hope I'm ready for it when the time comes.

Kathy
KathyW

Postby ultrarun33 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:29 pm

Hi Zip - I ran Ridgecrest twice and Calico last year. Ridgecrest is definitely a great ultra for first timers or those who want to run a fast non technical/challenging course.

Other ultras I recommend doing for the remainder of the year is the Bishop High Sierra Ultra. I ran the 50 miler a few years ago and was one of the best organized ultra's in soCal I've done. Courses are well marked, great volunteers, great aid station, beautiful views of the Sierra. If you looking for a hilly single track ultra, I suggest running the PCT 50 which is located east of San Diego. The temps can be quite warm during that time of the year do to the Santa Ana's.
I also recommend the Bull Dog ultra. They run a 50/25k that is located in the Santa Monica state park. If you don't like the heat, don't bother. It get easily in the 90's later in the day.
The Santa Barbara nine trails is another great, very well organized 33miler. If you like hills with nice sceneries, I suggest this one.
Lake Hodges 50k is postponed due to last years fires.

I am currently on the waiting to run Mikwok which I pretty sure I'll get in. I've never ran this one but heard it's a great event. The online registration field up in 10 minute!
ultrarun33

Postby KathyW » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:20 am

The 20 mile version of the http://www.bhs50.com/index.php looks like something to work toward for me. I really like how the proceeds from these races go to good causes.

All these great suggestions - I better get back into training mode.
KathyW

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics