Mt. Baldy via Mt. Baldy Trail Conditions as of 2/9/2008

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Mt. Baldy via Mt. Baldy Trail Conditions as of 2/9/2008

Postby beastie » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:17 pm

The first ½-mile was fairly easy and not enough snow for crampons. There were a few fallen trees but it only required a little dirt on the hands and knees to get through. The next 1-mile after Bear Flat was thorny, a bit rocky and snow became noticeable. At 1.5-mile the crampons were on.

The next 5-miles ascend relatively along the ridge and the snow was mostly hard pack throughout the morning. There were minor sections that needed to be maneuvered around/under because of trees but it was not treacherous. Recent crampon and snowshoe prints made the Mt. Baldy Trail very obvious and rather easy to travel on from trailhead to peak. The weather was sunny all day and it was calm at the top.

Note, on the descent, by 12:30pm, the snow was mushier and not as stable in areas. It’s was nothing dreadful just a couple landings on the butt. The 2-miles before Bear Flat were the most difficult because it was later in the day and the rocky-snowy areas were slipperier. Also, the thorns were still there.

It’s a moderately good workout because of the elevation gain and the near 13-mile day but it’s worth the effort. There are wonderful sights along the way and sitting on the Mt. Baldy peak is amazing.

Mt. Baldy Trail
Total miles 12.8 (there & back)
Elevation: start 4260’, peak 10064’

Finding the trailhead:
Take Mt. Baldy Road make left at Bear Canyon Road (before Baldy Visitor Center). Drive past several homes to a white gate and park at designated lot on right. Walk a bit further on road passing a few more homes then cross stream to Mt. Baldy Trail and shortly thereafter stay right on trail at the fork.

My 2/9/2008 times:
Start time 7:30am
Peak by 11:54am

Descent start time 12:30pm
Parking lot by 3:28pm
beastie

Postby KathyW » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:15 am

Beastie: That's really good time in the snow - it must have been just beautiful out there.

Kathy
KathyW

Postby beastie » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:01 am

Thanks Kathy! It was a solo-hike so my pace was steady. The day was superb; one of the best, and it was completely calm on the top. T-shirt weather!

On another note, I like your website/pictures. Are you pleased with Smugmug’s service? It seems like a user friendly site. Is it worth the annual fee?

Happy trails!

beastie
beastie

Postby lonelydriver » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:35 am

Hi,

my buddies and I were planning to climb baldy this upcoming weekend, and I was wondering if you think we still need crampons? or maybe snow shoes would be better?

any advice would help!

thanks
-Kevin
lonelydriver

Postby asabat » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:18 am

I carried snow shoes with me on the 8th, and really wished I could have used them going down from the hut, but the track is quite narrow in many places and I therefore left them off, figuring postholing was better than sliding sideways off the slope.
asabat

Postby beastie » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:56 am

lonelydriver wrote:...I was wondering if you think we still need crampons? or maybe snow shoes would be better?

any advice would help!

thanks
-Kevin

Hi, definitely take the crampons and leave the snowshoes in car… there is the occasional posthole but not enough to carry the extra weight. It looks like another clear weekend so it should be nice. Have fun!
beastie

Postby lonelydriver » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:07 am

Hey guys,

thanks for the prompt response!

I think I'll stick to the crampons,

Do you think We'll need ice axes too?

We don't have any of this gear, nor the training, so i was hoping we could just go up in waterproof hiking boots and trekking poles.. would that be too risky?

thanks
-Kevin
lonelydriver

Postby beastie » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:34 am

Kevin,

You don’t need the ice axe if you are heading up the Mt. Baldy Trail or Icehouse Canyon. You should be fine with the boots and poles, that’s what I had Saturday. My slight regret was leaving the gators in the car, only on the way down; the few postholes. The conditions are great right now so it’s not too risky in that area. Note, the hikers that took Manker Flats and Devil’s Backbone were equipped with an ice axe. What time are you guys getting to the trailhead?
beastie

Postby asabat » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:09 pm

Heading down Baldy on Friday I started to move into a sitting glissade position and slide on my side before arresting with the axe. Some areas were soft but others crusty ice. This weekend may be softer. YMMV.
asabat

Baldy

Postby powderfinder » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:53 pm

What is the quickest route to the top?
theres nothing a good day of snowboarding wont cure.
powderfinder

Next

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics