Loafing along the Continental Divide

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Loafing along the Continental Divide

Postby bretpct » Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:46 pm

Hi folks,

Just thought I'd post here in case anyone is interested (and it is hiking related!). I've been on the Continental Divide Trail for almost two months now and am posting updates to instagram about once a week. No pressure to follow or anything, I just made this account for friends and family to follow my progress, and the account is public. Happy hiking!

https://instagram.com/bret.lamb
bretpct

Re: Loafing along the Continental Divide

Postby guest » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:11 am

Hi Bret, what a challenge, I've heard this "trail", is tough,cold, high (elev) and desolate, but majorly beautiful and serene.
All the best on your adventure, the photos look great! S2

Postby bretpct » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:41 pm

guest wrote:Hi Bret, what a challenge, I've heard this "trail", is tough,cold, high (elev) and desolate, but majorly beautiful and serene.
All the best on your adventure, the photos look great! S2

Thank you! And I agree that "trail" is the best way to describe this trail, as in many parts it's more of an idea. As my username suggests I hiked the PCT several years ago and this is a good 2x or 3x more difficult, or so it seems. I would go several days in New Mexico without seeing any people which never happened on the PCT, and I've been regularly above 12k' in Colorado now for the past couple weeks. Yesterday I scrambled up a knife's edge ridge to about 13.5k' and hiked into the night 'til about 10PM when I finally found a suitable place to camp that was off the ridge and not gusting 60 MPH.
bretpct

Postby guest » Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:11 pm

Dang Bret, that sounds pretty brutal, especially if your not able to keep your spirits up. The elevation, the gain & drop, wind, cold, can all ad up. I followed Carrot Quinn a few years back when she did it, (after the PCT), and she said similar things. Swami (Cam Holden), has great things to say about the areas as well. Plus, I'd imagine resupply is much more challenging, (extra miles included).
Well I hope the wx isn't to intense, and you don't get any wildfires through the Rockies this year. I have heard amazing things about Wind River & Glacier NP in general, (if your heading north and haven't hit them yet).
Keep on truckin, I know reception is dicey in areas like that, but try to keep us posted, Scott

Postby bretpct » Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:28 pm

Weather has been pretty cooperative so far and resupplying hasn't been too bad as the trail runs straight through several towns unlike the PCT. It is about to get tougher though as I just entered Wyoming and the population is getting sparser now. I just mailed some food ahead of me for the first time.

I'll be hitting the Winds, Yellowstone, and grizzly country all in the next couple weeks. I already got my bear spray.
bretpct

Postby guest » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:43 pm

Sounds like your having a pretty good trek so far, that's really rugged country, and I'm sure summer storms can hit hard and fast.
The bear probably aren't too used to people there either, hopefully they'll be well feed during the summer!
I'm sure you'll be looking forward to the food you mail ahead, when you finally get it! Happy trekking, scott

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics