Bill Ewasko found?

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Re: Bill Ewasko found?

Postby OtherHand » Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:57 pm

Wow, that is beyond appalling. It’s pretty tacky for the locators to offer up a pic to the press, but I’d expect most media outlets to have standards regarding the publishing of such items. Well, maybe not in Bumpassville, TN. What asshats....
OtherHand

Postby Perry » Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:20 pm

They do have 1 standard: no private web browsers.
Counting the days until October...
Perry
Site Admin

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:25 am

Does seem a bit tacky, doesn't it? And unnecessary.

One kind of odd comment: I'm kind of glad that Bill was found where he was. When I was walking the ground, I was constantly aware that I couldn't check everything. What if he's behind that rock? Did he go just over that rise? What about those bushes over there? If he had been found in a place I had walked by, I'd be kicking myself for being less than thorough, even though I really wanted to be done and out before dark. I had one eye on the ground and one eye on my wrist watch the entire time. My purpose was to find Bill Ewasko, not to join him.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby zippetydude » Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:48 pm

A couple of thoughts:

It struck me as a bit odd to post a pic of the remains, but then again, I went and checked it out. I think I would be a hypocrite to decry them posting the image after I clicked on it to go look at it.

I don't think it was horrible to post it, we are all curious about just about every aspect of this mystery. I would have preferred a complete picture of the belongings showing the exact place they were located after the actual remains had been removed. I think in America we have such a taboo about talking about death, much less depicting it even years after it has happened, that we sometimes deny the actual reality. Many other cultures do not have this taboo, at least not at our level. It was a little tacky, but being 12 years later, it held little chance of shocking or hurting the surviving family.

About walking right past, I'm with you HJ. Perry, you mentioned looking a little silly...that was the opposite of my thought. I was thinking that there is irony here, that the only person who had the instinct and fortitude (mixed with a little bit of luck) to actually tread across the exact spot where the remains were discovered had the misfortune to not spot anything, how much does that suck? Congratulate yourself on a job well done, even if spotting the site was not in the cards that day.

z
zippetydude

Postby jdclifford » Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:42 pm

As someone involved in this search, I think it's perfectly natural to want to view the remains in situ. If, in theory, it was a picture of the remains removed from where they were found...no, I most certainly would have no desire to view them. Does it make me and others here a hypocrite to click on the link? Probably, but that in no way validates them publishing it or the locators giving it to them.

Other cultures might be different, in terms of showing the scattered bones of someone's loved one, but that doesn't invalidate the cultural norms of our society. Are you saying that if a loved one of yours was missing for 12 years, you would be perfectly okay with media publishing a picture of their scattered bones?
jdclifford

Postby Ric Capucho » Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:23 am

As press articles are often deleted, here’s what’s pertinent:

“…and reported the bones and the nearby backpack along with car keys, an old flip cell phone, a whistle, and a wallet with the driver’s license of Bill Ewasko.”

That photo… :-(

Ric
Ric Capucho

Postby RichardK » Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:03 am

I wonder if the coroner will do a forensic examination of the phone. If the electronics haven't been fried by the exposure, it may contain a log of outgoing calls. We could see the dates and times of any call attempts with no signal.
RichardK

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:02 pm

RichardK wrote:I wonder if the coroner will do a forensic examination of the phone. If the electronics haven't been fried by the exposure, it may contain a log of outgoing calls. We could see the dates and times of any call attempts with no signal.
Now, that would be interesting and all the more so if there were photos on the phone.

Does anyone know? Did Bill typically carry a camera? I don't recall reading about it one way or the other.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby Ric Capucho » Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:19 pm

Hikin_Jim wrote:
RichardK wrote:I wonder if the coroner will do a forensic examination of the phone. If the electronics haven't been fried by the exposure, it may contain a log of outgoing calls. We could see the dates and times of any call attempts with no signal.
Now, that would be interesting and all the more so if there were photos on the phone.

Does anyone know? Did Bill typically carry a camera? I don't recall reading about it one way or the other.

HJ

The Crossville article mentions a flip-style cellphone. Easy to forget after all these years of smart phones that built-in cameras were rare back in 2010. However, Tom’s massive data dump on all things Bill includes a point that Bill was a keen photographer. Hence my great interest in whether there’s a digital camera in that daypack.

And the maps.

Ric
Ric Capucho

Postby Ed » Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:18 pm

Ric Capucho wrote:Easy to forget after all these years of smart phones that built-in cameras were rare back in 2010.

Mine had a camera. I think they were common in flip-top phones by 2010. Not that I ever used it. A real photographer would probably have carried a separate camera.
Ed

PreviousNext

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics