Any cool free hiking trails in or around palm springs?

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Any cool free hiking trails in or around palm springs?

Postby Bluesubaru28 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:10 am

New to the area and want to see good scenery without paying a fee if I dont have to. Free nice park suggestions are also welcome and appreciated!
Bluesubaru28

Re: Any cool free hiking trails in or around palm springs?

Postby Perry » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:25 pm

Here are a couple web sites:
http://www.hiking-in-ps.com
https://www.alltrails.com/lists/ps-hiking

You'll get more replies by posting in the main section of the forum. This 2nd section doesn't usually get as many views.
Counting the days until October...
Perry
Site Admin

Re: Any cool free hiking trails in or around palm springs?

Postby Ed » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:53 am

At this time of the year you have to hike high to be cool and safe, except for short early morning hikes. That means either take the tram or drive. A high percentage of the higher trails are on the Tom Harrison Mt. San Jacinto and San Gorgonio maps. Available both in paper and for smartphones. There will be far more choices in the winter. The Barnes and Noble in Palm Desert carries hiking guide books. Desert Map and Aerial Photo in Palm Desert has maps. I think a few hours of browsing in those stores would be helpful. Regarding guidebooks, Ferranti's 140 Hikes in the Palm Springs Area is the most prominently displayed, but I don't care for it. I prefer David Mooney Harris's Inland Empire, though it is a fairly new book and I have not used it much. Then there is the classic San Bernardino Mountain Trails by John Robinson and David Mooney Harris. But it doesn't cover the lower elevation trails you would hike during the cooler months. Hope this helps.
Ed

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics