MIT: Networked drone fleets to aid searches for hikers

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

MIT: Networked drone fleets to aid searches for hikers

Postby arocknoid » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:06 am

Autonomous drones could collaboratively search without need for GPS reception; LIDAR and SLAM

http://news.mit.edu/2018/fleets-drones- ... ikers-1102
arocknoid

Re: MIT: Networked drone fleets to aid searches for hikers

Postby Wildhorse » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:51 pm

Maybe more lives will be saved at a lower cost. Maybe people who might have enjoyed employment in SAR will be able to enjoy employment in other fields.

Maybe droid rangers will be used to monitor hikers and alert us to danger, and reduce the need for rescues.

Maybe some wilderness areas will not allow droids and drones. I hope so, I think, but don’t even want to think about it even though I do.

I think of Silicon Valley executives who have begun to doubt that their technology is good and have started protecting their children from it, as in limiting screen time, like this.
Wildhorse

Postby drndr » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:48 am

https://youtu.be/cF6QHTQqL7g

Here's some more on same idea. We should be using this if we really care about saving people. Unless we don't that is, which is also okay to some.
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time"
drndr

Postby zippetydude » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:31 am

The efficacy will become evident very quickly once it is operational. It's a great idea and an ideal use of new technology. Of course, Wildhorse is right as well...it's a slippery slope. One can imagine the technology being used strictly to save lives through search and rescue, then the use perhaps being expanded to catch poachers in Africa who are (despicably) hunting elephants. When it works there, it will probably be employed to combat guerrilla warfare, and ultimately be used for surveillance wherever and whenever governments feel like it. That's probably already being done without our knowing it. So, at least the SAR use will yield happy results with the best of intentions.

z
zippetydude

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics