San Gorgonio Wilderness Open!

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

San Gorgonio Wilderness Open!

Postby Ellen » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:26 am

Howdy All :)

Via the SBNF facebook page:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Re: San Gorgonio Wilderness Open!

Postby Pitownpi » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:01 pm

THANKS,
that is good news!

BTW do you know if one can hike to Caramba? IOPEN?
i've never been and want to go....

IS THERE WATER ENOUGH FOR WADDING?

Valley Fire is one bizarre ever lasting gob-stopper!
guess it's got many marijuana plants to burn...hahahaha
Pitownpi

Postby Ulysses » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:24 pm

The trail to Caramba has not re-opened since the Mountain fire. Hopefully they will open it soon. There are pools there and the last time I was there (2012 maybe ?) there was enough water to wade. It was always very nice. Not sure how much water is there now.
Ulysses

Postby Pitownpi » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:07 pm

Ulysses wrote:The trail to Caramba has not re-opened since the Mountain fire. Hopefully they will open it soon. There are pools there and the last time I was there (2012 maybe ?) there was enough water to wade. It was always very nice. Not sure how much water is there now.

thanks for reply, i've never seen such low water levels and dry creeks!
hope we get some rain, i guess the drought is worse than last year this time.
Pitownpi

Postby zippetydude » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:37 pm

Hi Pi. Caramba is best in the late spring anyway - the water flow is strong, clear, cold, and delicious. Your instincts are good, it is a wonderful little space in the wilderness. Timing can make it ridiculously nice. Plan on taking off your shoes and jumping in - cold but refreshing. Makes for a wonderful hike back up. Think late April or May.

z
zippetydude

Postby Pitownpi » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:44 pm

zippetydude wrote:Hi Pi. Caramba is best in the late spring anyway - the water flow is strong, clear, cold, and delicious. Your instincts are good, it is a wonderful little space in the wilderness. Timing can make it ridiculously nice. Plan on taking off your shoes and jumping in - cold but refreshing. Makes for a wonderful hike back up. Think late April or May.

z

April or May...check......too darn hot, never seen these September temperatures in my 17 years here at 4000ft.
and dry, lot's of large pinyon pine are dying locally.
we're headed up to Fish creek area next week to check some water sources....and young Aspens...hopefully!

... been remodeling my indoor pool and it's almost ready after 2 years shut down...just craving water!
Pitownpi

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics