Unsuccessful Drone Search near Amboy Crater

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Unsuccessful Drone Search near Amboy Crater

Postby Perry » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:14 am

https://www.desertsun.com/story/weather ... 766319002/

It's interesting that even a drone search could not find the missing wife, although they did find the husband near the trailhead. Sounds like the wife may have taken shelter under some boulders while the husband went back to seek help. I don't recommend that anybody search in the summer heat. The black rock makes the crater hotter than surrounding areas, and I believe the town of Amboy is as hot as Palm Springs. It wouldn't surprise me if the crater is almost as hot as Death Valley.
Counting the days until October...
Perry
Site Admin

Re: Unsuccessful Drone Search near Amboy Crater

Postby Myth » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:31 pm

Boy, that is sad. With summer temperatures the way they are these past couple of years it may be time to post big warning signs about desert heat at attractions like this. Unless you're from the desert southwest you don't realize how swiftly the desert can take you out. Last year another couple from Yorba Linda succumbed to the heat at Amboy as well.

A big thermometer with a red line and a "If it is hotter than this, you seriously risk death, and will endanger to those who will search for you" sign at popular trailheads might help. The lava rock definitely means that ground temperatures are insane.

Drones seem like they can be a big help with some search efforts, but there are obvious drawbacks too depending on terrain.

I usually hike in a bright orange sunshirt - anything to be a bit more visible from the air, should I ever need to be visible. The only drawback to that is that bees tend to think I'm a flower, and attracting a bunch of bees in the desert is a bad idea too. I have this story about bounding through the yuccas, trailing bees, and getting stung by one that went up my shorts ...
Myth

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics