Arocknoid -- big horn sheep

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Arocknoid -- big horn sheep

Postby Ellen » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:04 am

Howdy 'Noid and forum,

I finally had a wonderful big horn sheep sighting in the Baldy/Cucamonga wilderness. Of course, I was so excited to be so close to them that I forgot my cell phone was handy. Fortunately, my hiking buddy Mark took some photos.

Also saw lemon lilies for the first time in this wilderness.

A fabulous day with Marilyn, Mark and Tracy last Sunday.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Re: Arocknoid -- big horn sheep

Postby zippetydude » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:30 pm

Nice Ellen! It always adds to the fun to see wildlife...thanks for sharing. :D Pretty flowers in both posts too!

z
zippetydude

Postby arocknoid » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:12 pm

Howdy Ellen!

Thanks for the photos--looks like a trifecta of the fine Fs which bring the most enjoyment with hikes: flora, fauna, and friends.
(Though my heart skipped a little when I read "Tracy"...)

Nice find on the Lemon Lilies, and I hope they remain unmolested..

Always glad to see photos from other folk of sheep of which I keep track.
I know that sub-group very well. The larger female with the (distinctive) broomed right curl often is mistaken for a male, BTW.

She and the other lead ewe both had lambs last year but it seems only hers is still around. Their two new lambs are cute, eh? but the second one has been lagging in growth, as the yearling still competes for and sneaks milk from mom. L'il one is looking downright scrawny, to be blunt, and that's a bit frightsome. Nature.

Their larger affiliated group was no doubt nearby. (Also, speaking of trifectas, the two groups of three rams which rule/and fight for/ the roost are still intact.)

Maybe I'll post a pic or two like in olden times, hah.

keep on hiking

hasta luigi,
arocknoid
arocknoid

Postby arocknoid » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:59 pm

I went into files on the bighorns, and became too engrossed in delving through the years and the generations. Fascinating to me, and if I had the time or an assistant, one could put together a photo and video family tree from the thousands of images over the past twenty or so years (of digital).
I generally don't post anything anywhere, but I promised Ellen.

So here are a few of the two ewes she saw, retrospective to July 2015. My comment about the thick-horn/broomed ewe being mistaken for a male was especially so for her younger years at less than half-curl. When just a quarter curl, her horns were stockier than most males (and yes, I have the pics...).

(edit)

eating flowers:

chomp:

little mother:

distinctive horn features

distinctive horn feature on sis

OK, a couple of Two Alpha

distinctive ridges

ttfn
arocknoid
arocknoid

Postby Ellen » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:32 pm

Howdy "Noid,

Thanks so much for posting the big horn sheep photos -- I was able to see them before they vanished. BTW -- you're right, I did think the thick horned ewe was a ram.

Last Tuesday, Sister Sally backpacked up Baldy and spent the night -- Miracle Marilyn and I were driving back from a Sierra backpack to Langley. Her trip was blessed with a visit from big horn sheep. Looks like they were enjoying yummy succulents. In the Arocknoid tradition and in observation of the "Prime Directive," the location of said sighting won't be provided.

Baaa, Ram, Ewe,

Ellen

Fellow San Jacinto board members, what movie contained the quote above my name? I'm taking a page from Arocknoid's book :wink:
Ellen

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics