Uh oh, Fire at the bend on Hwy 38 to Valley of the Falls

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Uh oh, Fire at the bend on Hwy 38 to Valley of the Falls

Postby zippetydude » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:10 pm

If the fire is on the north side of the highway going up the slope this could be catastrophic like the Lake Fire. It's only 200 acres right now, hope they can kill it quickly before it rages out of control.

http://www.fire.ca.gov/current_incident ... Index/2114

z
zippetydude

Re: Uh oh, Fire at the bend on Hwy 38 to Valley of the Falls

Postby SoCalJim » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:02 am

Uh oh is right. News stories mention high potential to move into SGWA. Just what the wilderness needs after the Lake fire. Really disheartening how little wilderness exists in So Cal and how easily it burns.
SoCalJim

Postby Ellen » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:01 pm

Marilyn and I saw smoke from the Valley fire driving home from Palm Springs yesterday. I've been following the updates from the San Gorgonio Wilderness Association Facebook page and Inciweb: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5900

Last I checked the fire has burned 1000 acres and is 0% contained. It has crossed into the wilderness boundary. This is beyond depressing :cry:
Ellen

Postby zippetydude » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:39 am

So far the fire has only progressed to 1139 acres (rather a precise figure!) and has not show the aggressive behavior that the horrid Lake Fire showed. Hopefully this will come to an end quickly. I believe the monsoonal rains may have played a part since the fire is in steep and largely inaccessible terrain and there is little that firefighters could have done on the ground. I'm sure they were doing airdrops as fast as they could as well. Anyway, keeping my fingers crossed...

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5900

z
zippetydude

Postby Perry » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:15 pm

Somebody commented on a news article and said it ran into a fire scar from a previous fire.
Counting the days until October...
Perry
Site Admin

Postby zippetydude » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:10 pm

Lake Fire = 32,000+ acres, this one is (hopefully) topping out at just over 1000. Better.

z
zippetydude

Postby SoCalJim » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:37 pm

Happily, minimal fire growth reported today and officials expect it to not pose a major threat to the wilderness area. With luck, trails will reopen soon.
SoCalJim

Postby zippetydude » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:35 am

I talked to one of the fire fighters yesterday. He said the rain came in and knocked it down. As I recall, that was what knocked down that horrible fire on San Jacinto a few years back, and the firefighter said that it was primarily what stopped the Lake Fire, but in that case it didn't rain until 8 or 9 days into the fire.

z
zippetydude

Postby SoCalJim » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:13 pm

I emailed SBNF about the continued closure of the wilderness asking why since they’ve pulled most of the firefighters from the fire, it hasn’t grown significantly, and was no longer being updated on inciweb. Just received a response that there’s still fire activity which could spread and there’s concern with the upcoming heat wave. Inciweb was updated today.
SoCalJim

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics