What's up with JOSAR and JTNP?

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

What's up with JOSAR and JTNP?

Postby OtherHand » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:52 pm

Well this is certainly interesting. Not sure what it's all about, but it doesn't look good.

jtsar.JPG
OtherHand

Re: What's up with JOSAR and JTNP?

Postby bretpct » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:05 pm

Aren't SAR operations typically under control of the Sheriff's Dept? Does this change when National Parks are involved?
bretpct

Postby OtherHand » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:35 am

It's my understanding that in California state law says search and rescue operations fall under the authority of each county's sheriff. However federal lands would normally be exempt from that requirement so they can do SAR operations as they like. There may also be a memorandum of understanding between national parks and their respective counties that further specifies who does what. JTNP is a little complicated since it's in two countries, Riverside and San Bernardino.
OtherHand

Postby Myth » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:17 am

That is ... disappointing, to say the least.

I don't see how severing a connection between a community and the SAR that operates within that community serves the greater good.

Perhaps there's liability concerns or some such ( don't ask me details, just throwing that out there because from what I've seen that's often how rubbish like this get started ), but really, not great.
Myth

Postby Perry » Tue May 08, 2018 12:34 am

Seems reasonable that law enforcement would want to have some control over what gets said publicly, but without specific examples of what's okay and not okay it's hard for me to have a strong opinion on this. That's too bad they won't continue posting and just get approval each time.

Here's an interesting comment I noticed:

Shelley Adamss wrote:Please ask for reconsideration this facebook page has been beneficial for so many people involved Social media helps to get the word out when someone goes missing it helps for leads for rescuing. My brother still remains missing out in Joshua Tree.We still wait for his return.This page give great comfort to see all success rescues and hope one day we will find our brother.Thank You for all your hard work we appreciate all you have done to
rescue the public and keep us informed.

Another missing person in JTNP apparently.
Counting the days until October...
Perry
Site Admin

Postby climbant » Fri May 11, 2018 8:32 pm

During an incident, the incident commander is responsible for vetting any information that is released for public consumption. You don't want to get blindsided and with the social media addiction, unauthorized releases can cause enormous headaches. This is really routine, I would suspect JTNP is playing some catch up especially with how much more popular the destination is getting.
climbant

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics