Hiker missing in the Maze Loop

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Hiker missing in the Maze Loop

Postby Ric Capucho » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:14 pm

I think another hiker is missing... temperatures are more amenable so hopefully a happy ending.

The Maze Loop, again.

Ric

http://www.hidesertstar.com/news/article_a3cda876-2817-11e8-8cf1-e7ec038091d9.html
Ric Capucho

Re: Hiker missing in the Maze Loop

Postby Ric Capucho » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:16 pm

Ric Capucho

Postby Myth » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:23 am

Gosh, thank goodness this turned out well.

A 20-foot fall sounds pretty bad. I wonder if he was scrambling, or if a dry waterfall surprised him. JT isn't someplace where I venture off the flats if I'm all by myself. Just having another person around makes me more cautious actually, not less. I feel responsible for the safety of my companion.
Myth

Postby Myth » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:01 pm

Okay, wait a minute.

What rubbish reporting is this?

https://www.eastcountymagazine.org/east-county-attorney-found-head-injury-joshua-tree-national-park

His wife, Patti, reported him missing and traveled to Joshua Tree, where a massive search was mounted. Park spokesman George Land said Hanks’ truck was found at the Maze Loop trail, near where two other missing hikers were recently found dead after their vehicle plunged down a cliff, trapping them and seriously injuring one. The couple died of an apparent murder-suicide after searchers failed to find them and they ran out of food.
Myth

Postby Ric Capucho » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:56 am

Insane, even by typical journalist standards. Sheesh.

Ric
Ric Capucho

Postby bretpct » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:58 pm

Myth wrote:Gosh, thank goodness this turned out well.

A 20-foot fall sounds pretty bad. I wonder if he was scrambling, or if a dry waterfall surprised him. JT isn't someplace where I venture off the flats if I'm all by myself. Just having another person around makes me more cautious actually, not less. I feel responsible for the safety of my companion.

KESQ interviewed him, though they haven't posted the interview yet, maybe they'll update this page with interview soon. I was able to find it on the livestream.
EDIT: They've added the interview.

He was bouldering, which sounds like was something he did often. He also said that he buried himself under sand for warmth, drank his own urine, ate cactus, and thought he was going to die. Apparently, he was somewhat mobile after the accident, mentioning that eating the cactus and drinking some rain water gave him energy to move. I haven't found anything on where exactly he was found, and how far from the trail he was.
bretpct

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics