Speed Record on the John Muir Trail - 2 days - 19 1/2 hours

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Speed Record on the John Muir Trail - 2 days - 19 1/2 hours

Postby Cy Kaicener » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:58 am

. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Re: Speed Record on the John Muir Trail - 2 days - 19 1/2 ho

Postby Sose » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:48 pm

Awesome and inspirational on every level!
Sose

Postby RichardK » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:10 am

I really don't understand these hiking speed records. Isn't the whole point to appreciate nature not whiz past it? Besides, all of these supposed records are really just claims. To confirm any of them would require an army of spotters to insure that no switchbacks were cut and no shortcuts were taken.
RichardK

Postby zippetydude » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:50 pm

The whole speed thing is just a playful form of doing what you love in a place you love. The first time I ever ran on a treadmill, I thought I had probably been running for about an hour and it turned out to be just over six minutes. When I trail run, I will think to myself that I seem to be making good time since I just started, and it turns out to be an hour has passed. For people who like to run and find the silly foolishness of PR's motivating (yes, I'm one) then a trail run is ideal. I love being out there, I don't really care about the PR, it's just a kooky way of enjoying running, but I really love being in the wilderness. So it lets me combine both experiences. I'm not anywhere near as fast as that guy, but if I were, I would probably want to go give it a try because it's such a beautiful place and such a non-threatening challenge. That last part is important. He didn't win a million dollars or get a Mercedes, so he really had nothing to lose. He just set an informal record that will be broken within a year or two. But he probably had fun doing it, and got to smell the crisp autumn air, got to feel the hollow, almost drum-like thud of his footsteps on the meadow trails through Yosemite, got to feel the satisfaction of physical release as he pressed up long, hard inclines, got to hear the whisper of the wind in the pines and the gentle roar of late season rivers flowing over the rocks...

So, it's kind of about speed, and it kind of has nothing to do with speed, but only with being in a place you love doing a thing you love to do.

z
zippetydude

Postby Wildhorse » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:26 am

I could not do this, for sure. But I do like to run.

It is as primal and paleo as wilderness. It is a chase or an escape, or play.
Wildhorse

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics