gps recommendations

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Re: gps recommendations

Postby Ed » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:41 am

Thanks for the information, pdforeme. I have an old Garmin eTrex Venture HC. If you can tell me how to make it chirp, I would love to know. I know it has an 'Off Course Alarm' in Marine Settings. But I don't know how to make it consider a track a 'Course'. It is definitely not in the manual. Unless it is TracBack.
Ed

Postby pdforeme » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:06 pm

This is slowly coming back to me; I recall it took some effort.
See if your gamin can do Waypoint proximity alerts......that is, beep when you are near a "waypoint".

That's what I did; and then to get a lot of detail....I created about 1200 waypoints.....so the unit beeped when I was near one (a few feet as I recall).

the hard part is twofold
a) all the "tracks" you can download don't have waypoints already...(but its sort of easy to create waypoints from someones old track)
b) Garmin limits you to 250 waypoints per new route (so I just made 5 smaller ones of 250 each).
Desert Rat since 1957
pdforeme

Postby Ed » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:27 am

pdforeme wrote:This is slowly coming back to me; I recall it took some effort.
See if your gamin can do Waypoint proximity alerts......that is, beep when you are near a "waypoint".

That's what I did; and then to get a lot of detail....I created about 1200 waypoints.....so the unit beeped when I was near one (a few feet as I recall).

the hard part is twofold
a) all the "tracks" you can download don't have waypoints already...(but its sort of easy to create waypoints from someones old track)
b) Garmin limits you to 250 waypoints per new route (so I just made 5 smaller ones of 250 each).

You have my admiration, you certainly slapped that thing around and made it salute. I doubt I will have the same determination. You would think that Garmin, having the capability in the hardware, would make the feature user-friendly and market it aggressively, it is so neat and valuable.
Ed

Previous

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics