Life-Changing Hike

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Life-Changing Hike

Postby Wildhorse » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:18 pm

This story is about a man who hiked the Appalachian Trail and how much it changed his life.

https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wilde ... hian-trail

Trigger warning: The before and after photos are shocking.

I have read in other places that women emerge in much better shape than men at the end of such hikes.

Has anyone here done the PCT or AT, and wants to talk aboot it?
Wildhorse

Re: Life-Changing Hike

Postby zippetydude » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:55 am

Can you say "Deliverance" boys and girls? He looks like he ate nothing but hillbillies the whole trip. :shock:

Despite his odd appearance at the end, he seems to have had an epiphany of sorts as to what brings him fulfillment, so good for him. I think most of us on this board immerse ourselves in the wilderness on a consistent basis so it's easy to understand why he would make that kind of discovery about himself.

BTW I came across a PCT through hiker once over at Whitewater. He had done the AT, which he referred to as the "Green Tunnel". He said he had gotten kind of bored because you essentially have no views for pretty much the whole way, it's just a path through an unending forest. The Appalachians are a very old, smoothly rolling mountain range with almost no high points, hence the tunnel feeling. He told me he already much preferred the PCT having just gone from the Mexican border up through the San Jacintos heading north. I told him he had some amazing views coming. I wonder if most people who do both have a similar experience?

z
zippetydude

Re: Life-Changing Hike

Postby Ed » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:08 pm

Half rations? Turned off by shaving? Wanted to look a little strange?

I'm not sure about stories of 'I must leave ordinary life and turn to nature.' I once read one about the opposite transformation. The author had been a guide in Alaska. One summer he had a group of clients who were professors from a medical school. Every night they had a bitch session around the campfire about their jobs, institution, colleagues, administrators, journal reviewers, etc. But after a while he realized they were very much into their work and enjoyed it. It inspired him to go back to college and pursue a more conventional career.
Ed

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics