Anybody else going to see the eclipse?

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Re: Anybody else going to see the eclipse?

Postby drndr » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:14 am

I liked the way you described it Zip. I wanted to see it but it was really just an excuse for a road trip and to see family. I was actually expecting it to be disappointing. But being there, having the anticipation build then in the last couple minutes really feel it darken and cool and being able to take the glasses off. Quite remarkable. My wife who is a city girl and not the largest appreciation for the outdoors also was impressed enough to say immediately after "when should we start planning for the next one"
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time"
drndr

Postby RichardK » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:05 am

This is what it looked like from Tennessee.

RichardK

Postby zippetydude » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:23 pm

Impressive shot Richard. Especially because it actually looked like that to the naked eye. I only wish it could have lasted an hour or so for closer viewing and more time to enjoy it, but truth be told, it was incredible partly because there was only a very precious two minutes to take it all in. It heightened the senses and made the moment, however brief, seem like it was actually longer than that. Thanks for the awesome pic!

z
zippetydude

Postby Wildhorse » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:06 am

I think NY would be an exciting place to be in 2024. Not totality, but more than 80%. Nothing really happens outside of that city. I would think that the show on the street would as interesting as the show above.
Wildhorse

Postby Florian » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:08 pm

I was in Santa Monica. Set up my binoculars in Palisades Park and shared with the locals. Had about 30 people at one time ..

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYELo5tlXz-/
Florian

Postby zippetydude » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:45 pm

Nicely done Florian! You're one person who I am absolutely sure would appreciate totality. Think Durango, Mexico, just 7 years from now... 8)

Wildhorse, find totality and then drop by New York. You will thank me.

BTW, there is a transit of Mercury on November 11/12 of 2019. I watched the last transit of Venus, which barely made the news, and it was fascinating. Seeing a little black dot move across the face of the sun does not sound exciting, but imagine yourself watching another planet as it floats in space, real-time, across the path between you and the sun - it was somehow amazingly 3D. The eclipse is far more fun, but the transit is so easy. Keep those eclipse glasses!

z
zippetydude

Postby Wildhorse » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:21 pm

Hi Z, yes, I am sure that it is woderful to experience a total eclipse anywhere, unless, of course, it brings calamity.

As a boy I saw an annular eclipse. I remember it so long ago.

I had the good fortune to live and work in New York. That was an eclipse of another kind.

A few days ago I bought an old print of a famous painting titled the two majesties. A lion and the sun and an ocean between them. We take the sun for granted. The painting is a reminder, perhaps, among other meanings.
Wildhorse

Previous

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics