Should we wear sunscreen?

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Should we wear sunscreen?

Postby Wildhorse » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:31 pm

I found this interesting article on mnn.com today.

https://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well ... -sunscreen

It explains that research is showing that sunscreen does not prevent cancer and may even cause cancer and have other harmful effects, which is, of course, contrary to years of advice from dermatologists and claims made by the big companies that promote the products.

That article contains another interesting link to a website of an organization that conducts research for the sake of consumer interests and safety.

http://www.ewg.org/sunscreen/report/8-l ... unscreens/

And other interesting links too.

Good reading.

We have lived for many decades with unrealistic fears of various foods and water, fear of the sun and many other fears associated with just living on this great green planet as it is. At the same time, we have done much to spoil the great planet that sustains our lives.
Wildhorse

Re: Should we wear sunscreen?

Postby Myth » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:08 pm

I dunno ... a lobster sunburn is no fun!

I hardly ever use sunscreen. I do use dorky hats, breezy long sleeve shirts and pants, and a Chrome Dome. Maximizes my comfort.

Hiking on snow fields that outfit doesn't help as much. I might add some sunscreen then.

And going freeway speeds in the Jeep with no top, I don't want a hat - I do sunscreen then though I hate the hot, oily, smothered feeling. Beats ending up lobster style.
Myth

Re: Should we wear sunscreen?

Postby RichardK » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:09 pm

I read the articles. The essence is this: instead of chemical sunscreens, avoid midday exposure and cover up - long sleeves and pants, wide brim hat. This means no more running around half naked in the middle of the day. Of course, Caucasians shouldn't be living closer to the Equator than Sweden.
RichardK

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics