Good Canyon to 9 K on Ski Hut trail

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Good Canyon to 9 K on Ski Hut trail

Postby Ellen » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:40 pm

Howdy All,

Sally and I headed up Good Canyon yesterday. I have never seen so much water in Good -- it was beautiful.

Normally we head straight up the canyon, but due to the fast flowing water, we hiked up the sides and crossed the creek as needed.

We usually exit the canyon at the "crux" -- about 7.5 K. Unfortunately, the approach to the crux was buried under snow with a massive amount of water running underneath.

We exited the canyon early, which involved clawing our way uphill through loose dirt, scree, pine needles, lousy rocks, etc. It took forever to gain 1.5 K feet. Once we reached the Ski Hut trail at 9 K, we called it and started down. Enjoyed lunch before donning microspikes and making our way down the slippery mess to the base of the bowl.

The only downside -- some trashy scum placed graffiti on the rocks at the entrance to Good Canyon :x

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Re: Good Canyon to 9 K on Ski Hut trail

Postby Sally » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:31 pm

Thank you for a fun day and a thorough thrashing, Ellen! This is the only hike I have done where my arm muscles are sorer than my legs! I had a death grip on my poles and there were several places where I pulled myself up the hillside on all fours.
Sally

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics