Falling Rock Canyon

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Falling Rock Canyon

Postby Ellen » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:15 pm

Howdy All,

Cameron, Marilyn, Kalen and I went up Falling Rock Canyon to Ontario and Big Horn peaks mid-March.

First time I've ever seen a waterfall in Falling Rock Canyon.

There was only a wee bit of snow in the canyon. Once we climbed out on to the ridge, we started running into snow.

Normally the route goes back and forth along the ridge up to the plateau. However, Cameron likes maneuvering around rocks, so we stayed close to the ridge's backbone. The amount of snow on Ontario's shoulder looked promising.

My team mates on the plateau.

Looking towards Ontario from the plateau. There was enough snow to cover the brush and deadfall, so we made a beeline for Ontario. Normally, this part is a mess -- one has to find a path through chest high brush (lots of buckthorn) and scramble over deadfall.

After summiting Ontario, everyone donned crampons and we headed along the ridge over to Big Horn.

Getting closer to Big Horn peak.

Took a snack break on Big Horn before heading down to Icehouse Saddle. Removed crampons and headed down the trail -- didn't even need microspikes.

I went up the Icehouse Canyon trail to Timber last Sunday -- didn't need traction. It looks like there is still a heck of a lot of snow on the Ontario ridge and Cucamonga.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics