Bear/Village trail to Baldy

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Bear/Village trail to Baldy

Postby Ellen » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:52 pm

Howdy All.

Met Miracle Marilyn at Manker and left a car (I hate hiking down Bear). It was lovely to not be plagued by gnats, biting flies and mosquitos in the lower section. A group was camping at Bear Flat. As we headed up the dreaded switchbacks through the brush, it was obvious that someone has worked on the trail and trimmed back the brush. Whoever it was, thank you!

We ran into new deadfall at about 7.2 K. My favorite part of this trail is the middle section -- pine forest, expansive views, winding uphill through rocks. Ran into snow just past the narrows and donned microspikes. From 9 K up, what is normally a long slog without snow became even longer    

Enjoyed lunch at the peak before heading down the ski hut trail. Kept the microspikes on until the beginning of the "rock garden" at the base of the bowl. From 9 K down to the bottom of the bowl, the snow is a slippery mess -- landed on our butts and backs a few times. Met a couple going up who wanted to come down the Devil's Backbone to the Notch -- we discouraged them. Lots of water in the streams that cross the trail and in San Antonio canyon. Wonderful day.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Re: Bear/Village trail to Baldy

Postby Ed » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:43 am

Ellen,

Thanks for the report. You certainly have been active! Nice to know that brush has been cleared and the snowline is above the Narrows.

I have not done this trail since the closure a few years ago, but it is one of my favorites, and I have been thinking of it lately. Well, I should say the uphill part is one of my favorites. Hate the downhill, where the insects below Bear Flats add insult to injury, as you noted. I've sometimes hiked down to Manker Flats and hitched a ride from there, but there is so much slipping and sliding now on the way down to the Ski Hut that I'm not sure it is worth the bother.
Ed

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics