Falling Rock Canyon

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Falling Rock Canyon

Postby Ellen » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:01 am

Howdy All,

Hiked up Falling Rock Canyon to Ontario and Big Horn Peaks yesterday. Thanks to the cooler weather, I was able to wear pants and a long sleeved Icebreaker top. As I was ascending, I could see the Baldy Bowl snow melting off.

At the plateau where the ridge meets the Ontario backbone. I first encountered snow where the route gains the ridge, switching back and forth.

Ontario peak -- a bit of rime ice on the landmark dead tree.

View towards Cucamonga from Ontario peak. Hiking from Ontario to Big Horn took longer than usual due to the new snow. Walking through the snow was slower and route finding was difficult. I lost the trail between Ontario and the Bighorn/Kelly junction. I kept traversing until I could see the junction and get back on the trail.

My next objective -- Big Horn peak.

Views from the summit of Big Horn peak.

Heading down XC to Icehouse Saddle. I brought microspikes and could have used them on parts of this section. The hike back to my car on Icehouse Canyon trail was uneventful and no traction was needed.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Re: Falling Rock Canyon

Postby Sally » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:28 pm

Beautiful! What is it that gets me so excited about snow? Thanks for sharing your pics, Ellen! And good job on navigating FRC!
Happy Thanksgiving to all my San J Forum friends! We are all so fortunate to have beautiful mountains in So Cal (and deserts, and seashores for that matter) and to have each other to share those places with!
-Sally
Sally

Re: Falling Rock Canyon

Postby zippetydude » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:39 pm

I'm glad you're such an intrepid explorer Ellen. I might have been scared off after the winter events leading to TWO nights in the ski hut on San J, or the broken shoulder on this same route, but you heal up and head back out. You're awesome. Thanks for the pics! Happy Thanksgiving to you and also to you Sally, our ever encouraging sister of the trails. :)

z
zippetydude

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics