Deadly Summer, Soul Searching

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Deadly Summer, Soul Searching

Postby Wildhorse » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:56 pm

Last week, The Guardian ran this interesting and sad article about all the people who died flying in wingsuits over the summer.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/ ... -searching

Many observations in the article seem to apply to hiking and hikers, as well as to base jumpers and others who soar in body and spirit in wingsuits. It seems that so many base jumpers are new even to parachuting. So little experience, so much risk. Even if the death risk is lower for hiking generally, we see the same kind of risk taking without experience in hiking too, on Skyline and on other mountains and in canyons and crossing deserts. We see the same urge to boast of our conquests to others.

We also know, at least some of us know, about the soul searching aspect of taking risk, undertaking hiking adventures, and exploring wilderness. It is a big element for me, even if my risks are relatively mild.

It was a huge element in Dean Potter's life and death. Confronting death was large in his life, and being one with nature in the process of that confrontation in which he died.

I was talking yesterday with a doctor/scientist about adrenaline and endorphins. They are so pleasant. Physical danger is required. He does not hike, or fly in a wing suit. He flies a fast plane and races cars. He searches his soul too.
Wildhorse

Re: Deadly Summer, Soul Searching

Postby RichardK » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:00 pm

Some people like to see how close they can come to dying without actually dying. For them, no matter how close they came the last time, it is not enough. They have to get closer still.

I prefer Walter Bonatti's mind set. He backed off the Croz Spur route on Mont Blanc seven times before finally reaching the summit. He said: “Great climbers die in their rocking chairs.”
RichardK

Re: Deadly Summer, Soul Searching

Postby Ed » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:36 pm

RichardK wrote:I prefer Walter Bonatti's mind set. He backed off the Croz Spur route on Mont Blanc seven times before finally reaching the summit. He said: “Great climbers die in their rocking chairs.”

Of course there is the other saying: 'There are old climbers and there are bold climbers, but there are no old, bold climbers'.
Ed

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics