Chantry Flats to Mt Wilson

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Chantry Flats to Mt Wilson

Postby Florian » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:23 pm

I'll be visiting in Arcadia area next week and will have some free time. Thinking to hike Chantry Flats to Mt Wilson. I've never done the hike before and never been to Chantry Flats. Seems there is a popular 14 mile loop hike. Any suggestions or tips from folks that are familiar with the area?

-Florian
Florian

Re: Chantry Flats to Mt Wilson

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:49 pm

If you're going on a weekend, arrive EARLY. Parking is seriously crowded. Definitely arrive before 7:00 AM, and earlier if you can. You could wind up parking down the road close to a mile below the trailhead -- if you can get parking at all. Adventure Pass is supposedly required.

There's piped water available at Sturtevant Camp and at the summit. There's a spigot on the summit that's really handy right on the road. There's another spigot up on top at the pavilion that has the cafe. Here's my GPS track from July of last year: http://caltopo.com/m/2L70
The blue dots on my GPS track represent water. Even though it's not marked, there's also water (and porta-potties) at/near the trailhead, and as I mentioned there's water at Sturtevant Camp. There's also a little pack station that serves hot dogs, hamburgers, cold drinks, ice cream, etc. I usually throw them my business -- and thoroughly enjoy it. It's a pleasant place to relax a bit after a hike. There's also a cafe on the summit, the Cosmic Cafe. It's closed a lot. Best to call ahead and confirm that it's open if you plan on getting anything but water there.

Take note of the exit point from the summit plateau. The little trail saves you a lot of mileage over walking west to where the Mt. Wilson Toll Road comes in.

It can be hot in the lower reaches, so definitely start early -- especially so on weekends when parking is just downright bad.

Oh, and the little spot marked "view" is right off the trail and is worth the extra 50 yards or so of walking (in my opinion), particularly on a clear day.

Have fun. Let us know how it goes.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby Florian » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:19 am

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the info and the map. (Of course i knew you would have a map!) I'll be going on Friday so crowds shouldn't be too terrible. I'll carry my water. Maybe refill at the summit if needed. And i do have an adventure pass. Looks like you did as an overnight hiking counter-clockwise. I'm thinking to hike clockwise so i'll be on the exposed ridge in the morning and then down via the perhaps cooler canyon in afternoon. Does that make sense to you?

-Florian
Florian

Postby Wildhorse » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:08 am

Big Santa Anita Canyon is a beautiful place and has small private cabins only accessible by foot. The cabins, the debris dams and a mystical forest along the creek make this one of the most special places in the San Gabriel Mountains. It would be at the end of your clockwise loop.

The trails pass through areas of dense poison oak. I carry Tecnu detergent.

This will be a hot hike. If it turns out to be too hot in the sun, I think you could still enjoy an early morning short loop that includes Sturdevant Falls and much shade.
Wildhorse

Postby Florian » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:03 pm

In Arcadia this afternoon and was planning to hike from Chantry Flats tomorrow. Stopped by the REI and then thought i'd make a quick drive up to Chantry Flats to check conditions but found the road closed and gated! Bummer. I assume is closed due to the nearby San Gabriel complex fire. I'd still like to do a hike tomorrow. Any suggestions? I've done Mt. Lowe and i think Eaton Falls trail is closed.

-Florian
Florian

Postby Ed » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:48 pm

Florian wrote:Any suggestions?

Mt. Wilson from Sierra Madre?
Ed

Postby Florian » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:48 pm

Hi Ed,

I didn't realize there was another trail. Thanks for the suggestion but i think we're going to do museums instead. Current conditions aren't the best for hiking.

-Florian
Florian

Postby Ed » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:18 am

Same with me, I'm waiting for cooler weather. And I imagine it is smoky around there.

Glen Dawson, who was on the first ascent of the East Face of Whitney, died recently. There is a lengthy biography, with many photos, in the latest issue of the Sierra Echo, the newsletter of the Sierra Peaks Section of the Sierra Club. His family owned Dawson's Book Store, which was founded in 1905, and was a leading book store in Southern California, before the chain book stores moved in.

http://sierrapeaks.org/newsletters/backissues.html
Ed

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics