Vivian Creek Trail -- Memorial Day Weekend

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Vivian Creek Trail -- Memorial Day Weekend

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:06 am

I took Joycie up the Vivian Creek Trail over Memorial Day Weekend.

We did a lot of "flower" gazing:

Rock climbing:

And tree hiking:

Here's our trip report. Hope you can dig it. ;)

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Re: Vivian Creek Trail -- Memorial Day Weekend

Postby Sose » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:23 pm

Great trip and photos Jim! Can you tell me which parts of the area are presently under fire closure? Also, how to obtain permits for an early A.M start? Thanks!
Sose

Postby zippetydude » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:34 pm

Oh my goodness Jim! Joycie's face in 151 has just the kooky expression of a natural comedian! Not only is she beautiful, but talented as well! Glad she's still hitting the trail with daddy...I bet you are too...I hope it keeps up for the two of you for at least the next 50 years. :)

z
zippetydude

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:32 pm

Sose wrote:Great trip and photos Jim! Can you tell me which parts of the area are presently under fire closure? Also, how to obtain permits for an early A.M start? Thanks!

Sose,

For what's still closed and what is open in the SGW, you need look no further than my blog: Lake Fire Closure Area. :)

As for permits, just call the Mill Creek Ranger Station, (909) 382-2882, a couple of weeks in advance (at least) and ask what's available. Then go fill out a Wilderness Permit request form.

The ranger station opens at 7:00 AM on Saturdays and I think Sundays too, but if you go day of, all the permits for the trail you want may be already taken. There are other places to hike around there* besides in the wilderness, but if your heart is set on a particular hike, it's best to get a permit in advance.

HJ

*Wildhorse Trail, Santa Ana River Trail (the part that isn't under fire closure), Siberia Creek Trail, and the area west of Onyx Summit.
Hikin_Jim

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:36 pm

zippetydude wrote:Oh my goodness Jim! Joycie's face in 151 has just the kooky expression of a natural comedian! Not only is she beautiful, but talented as well! Glad she's still hitting the trail with daddy...I bet you are too...I hope it keeps up for the two of you for at least the next 50 years. :)

z

Isn't she a hoot?. :lol: That was totally spontaneous and unprompted.

She's doing really well in the outdoors. We were out for three days, and she took it all in stride (except when she got cold; she doesn't like cold).

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby Sose » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:41 am

Thanks for the solid info Jim! Excellent map work on your site. I especially like your trail corrections. Most topo maps are based on 1977 or earlier surveys and often not accurate due to overgrown unused trails, washouts and landslides changing routes, or being plotted incorrectly in the first place. Thanks for your service!
Sose

Postby David W » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:22 am

Very cool, I have a little girl about the same age, we had lots of fun "adventuring" around Santa Rosa last weekend. I need to get some pictures up. She loves climbing rocks and trees...hiking trails bore her before long.
David W

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:18 pm

Sose wrote:Thanks for the solid info Jim! Excellent map work on your site. I especially like your trail corrections. Most topo maps are based on 1977 or earlier surveys and often not accurate due to overgrown unused trails, washouts and landslides changing routes, or being plotted incorrectly in the first place. Thanks for your service!
Thanks, Sose, and you're welcome. For whatever reason, I just like compiling all this kind of stuff. And I notice when a map is wrong. If I'm watching my map on a hike, and the trail does something different than what the map says, I usually know it. Map errors bug me, so I tend to record that kind of stuff.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:29 pm

David W wrote:Very cool, I have a little girl about the same age, we had lots of fun "adventuring" around Santa Rosa last weekend. I need to get some pictures up. She loves climbing rocks and trees...hiking trails bore her before long.
Please do post pics of the Santa Rosas. The Santa Rosas sound really cool, but I know very little about them.

It takes me about 1.5 hours to drive to the Vivian Creek Trailhead vs. about 3.0 hours to drive to he Humber Park Trailhead. Consequently, I spend a lot more time in the San Gorgonio Wilderness than the San Jacinto Wilderness -- and I've never even set foot in the Santa Rosa Mountains. :oops: Kind of an embarrassing admission for a lifelong hiker who is a native of Southern California.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby David W » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:50 pm

PM sent, Jim
David W

Next

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics