Forest Bathing

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Forest Bathing

Postby Wildhorse » Wed May 18, 2016 5:34 pm

I have been reading about Forest Bathing, or, in Japanese, Shinrin-yoku. If you are not familiar with these words, they name a practice that is something like meditative or relaxing time spent in a forest. The Japanese have found that it improves health and they even reimburse under health insurance the cost of organized programs that involve this practice. They have even designated certain forest areas as empirically proven health enhancing areas. (Something like the FDA approving wilderness areas, I guess.)

I can see on the internet that we have an organization that promotes this in Los Angeles (Shinrinyokula.com). Of course, no official program is required to practice this. Many of us have already been practicing this without associating with the name Forest Bathing.

Personally, I have found time spent in areas with trees, and in the desert, restorative in many ways, and not limited to the aerobic and strength benefits of hiking.

I am wondering if anyone else here has heard of this practice being developed in our local forests or deserts or elsewhere in California.
Wildhorse

Re: Forest Bathing

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed May 18, 2016 7:24 pm

Haven't heard of it before, but it sounds quite appealing.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Re: Forest Bathing

Postby scottmac » Thu May 19, 2016 11:44 am

The website "Wildmind.org" is an excellent source for information on meditation.

Zeroing in on the specific topic here, is the page on walking meditation:

http://www.wildmind.org/walking
scottmac

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics