San G attempt 12-1

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

San G attempt 12-1

Postby hvydrt » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:03 pm

Alex, Mike and I attempted San G today. Left the trail head at about 5:45. There was no snow until about half way up to the wilderness boundary. It began to snow again as the sun came up, and continued to snow light and steady for the majority of the day. Snow ranged from about an inch at Vivian Creek to 4-6 at half way camp.
The slope above high creek had about 8" of snow,and some areas around rocks and logs with 12". We made it to near the top of ridge above high camp.
We turned around due to wet, frozen fingers and toes. Our water was frozen by this point also. Temp was about 20 degrees for most of the morning. The wind started picking up above high camp, and blowing snow, in addition to the snow still falling. When we returned to the cars, the snow level had dropped while we were hiking and our cars had about a half inch on them. When we left the snow level was down to about 5500'.
We carried crampons and ice axes, but never used them. The snow was light and fluffy. Oh yeah, we also saw a bobcat in forest falls this morning about 5:15. It seemed to have an injury to its front right paw.
hvydrt

great report

Postby tkvance » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:40 pm

Sweet trip report. It sounds like it was a good time on the trail. You mentioned that you made it to near the top of the ridge above high creek camp. Could you see North-northeast from there? If so, what did it look like? I'm wondering if the snow continued from the ridge all the way to the peak, or was it mostly confined to the ridge area? I've seen the ridge completely covered before on the High Creek Camp side, but the exposed area north of the ridge melted fast. Just wondering.

That's awesome to catch a picture of a bobcat on the trail.

Also, did you see anyone else on the trails?
tkvance

Postby hvydrt » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:28 pm

Could you see North-northeast from there?

I couldn't not see much more than a few hundred yards in each direction due to the clouds and blowing snow. I am sure the snow continued all the way to the peak. It was increasing in depth the higher we got.

Also, did you see anyone else on the trails?

We saw 2 guys at high camp. They said they had been following our tracks. They said it was there first time hiking in the area, and they were unsure about continuing further. we saw about 6 others in the vivian creek area on the way out.
hvydrt

Postby Rob » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:43 pm

Same trail (Vivian), a week later. Not much changed from what we saw in hvydrt's photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/freeburns/20071208SanGVivianTrailHighCreekRob
Rob

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics