Multiple Rescues Today, one a snake bite

Southern California and far-away places. Hiking, wildlife, cycling etc.

Multiple Rescues Today, one a snake bite

Postby climbant » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:33 pm

The Press Enterprise and Riverside County Fire Department reported several seperate rescues today, including one for a rattlesnake bite. That rescue was on the San Juan Loop west of Lake Elsinore. Haven't seen any snakes yet in the desert but seams like it's time to start paying attention more. The good news I guess none were on the Bump and Grind!

http://www.pe.com/articles/reported-795710-firefighters-forest.html
climbant

Re: Multiple Rescues Today, one a snake bite

Postby SoCalJim » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:44 pm

Just noticed the snakebite reference. Oh yeah, they are definitely out and active already. I live near Mission Trails Regional Park in San Diego and I'm out there a lot. On a six mile jaunt on Tuesday, I saw three. Stepped about a foot from the first one which was shaded up under a bush at the side of a fire road but didn't see it until it rattled and moved. Jumped a couple feet in the air and had a nice spike in my heart rate! That one was close to three feet long and thick; I was very lucky it didn't strike. Only saw one yesterday. When I talk to people out there and ask if they've seen any snakes, a lot are saying yes. Keep your eyes open, everyone.
SoCalJim

Re: Multiple Rescues Today, one a snake bite

Postby phydeux » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:00 am

Injury at Tenaja Falls . . . hmmm . . . wonder if that involved alcoholic beverages (if you've ever made the easy hike to there, you know what I mean!). I doubt there's any water at the falls this year.

San Juan Loop Trail - That's a easy 2.5 mile nature trail promoted as 'family friendly', but snakes wouldn't be unusual in that area.
3 of the 5 voices in my head are telling me to "Go for it!"
phydeux

Return to Outdoors-Related Topics